1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPC HC, some general settings

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sanderh, Nov 24, 2008.

1. sanderh

sanderh Member

Hi guys (and especially the makers of MPC HC, keep up the good work! :thanks:), I m using the MPC HC edition for some time now and have to say that I am very pleased with it. Especially because of the Anti-tearing option! It resolved all of my issues I had before.

Still I have some questions about some general options that can be selected in the MPC HC edition. So I hope you guys here can clarify them so I know what they do/what they are for.

In the Options menu of MPC there are the following things I would like to know what they are for. In the Output menu:
    - Surface: regular, 2D and 3D. Best to pick?
    - Resizer: Nearest Neighbor, Bilinear, Bilinear (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-0.60 (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-0.75 (PS 2.0), Bicubic A=-1.00 (PS 2.0)
    - YUV mixing: check or uncheck?+what is it for?
    - Lock back-buffer: check or uncheck?+what is it for?

Then there is the Audio Switcher
    - Enable build-in audio switcher: check or uncheck?+what is it for?

Thanks for all help and sorry for my bad English.

2. sanderh

sanderh Member

no ideas anyone?

3. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Surfaces= Only applicable when using WMR7/9 Renderer & DirectX 7/9. For best performance (but increased CPU usage) set it to the 3D. You may find MPC will lag a little when seeking a video or opening files.

Regular means the video surface is treated as usual surface outside the screen.
    2D means the video surface is rendered as texture, for copying and stretching uses 2D functions. Videocard must support 32bit RGBA textures.
    3D means the video surface is a texture which consists of two triangles in 3D. Using antialiasing with this setting can also increase processing requirements and further slow down MPC.

Resizer= Only tick the Bicubic (PS 2.0) settings if your graphics card supports Pixel Shader v2.0

Nearest Neighbor is the fastest method but it gives the worst quality. Bicubic Interpolation gives the best image quality, there are three varying levels differing in sharpness. 0.6 is the the sharpest. As always the highest quality setting requires more processing power.

YUV Mixing Mode= Enabling this will give you a slight performance boost at the expense of some VMR options. See here for a list of advantages and disadvantages: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms788177(VS.85).aspx

Lock back-buffer: Only tick if you're having VSync issues or tearing when watching videos.

Audio Switcher= Uses MPC's in-built audio switcher instead of external filters. It's a matter of personal preference. I find MPC's gives better quality and also allows you to manually map the number of input channels you have to which speaker they correspond to, useful if you have a 5.1 setup.

It can also boost, normalise and downsample audio but I recommend you don't use these options as they degrade audio quality for no benefit.

The "Audio-Shift" setting can be used to speed up or slow down an audio stream if you're having AV synchronisation issues (i.e. when the audio track is ahead or behind of the actual video).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009