1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg 1 to mpeg 4

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by richard36, Mar 4, 2005.

1. richard36

richard36 Guest

i am encoding mpeg 1 files to mpeg 4 using a free trial version of xilisofts video encoder of the net which is not a problem. the problem i have is getting the music videos down to a reasnable size to put them on my phone. 10 meg is about the lowest i can manage even if i drop the resollution down. but if i down load the videos on to the phone using the phones browser and internet they are only about 3 to 4 meg, and they are mpeg 4. how do they manage to keep the file size down ? suggestions wellcome.
    sorry if this suject is not really for this forum

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, the DivX/Xvid forum is more suited for this.
    What can I say? I usually reduce the movie's resulution to 352x240/288 (VCD), then I use DivX's 'Portable Profile' (set at bitrate = max = 768 kbps to avoid losing quality) with Encode performance set to 'Slow' (smaler size, but slower encoding time), which creates the smallest dimension for the VCD resoution, and use the multipass Encode mode (smallest size according to the movie's 'complexity', but 2 runs needed).
    Usually, for a 2h movie I get, saving the 100% of its quality apart a VCD-encoding of the movie instead of a DVD's, about 700 MB (depending on its complexity), so it becomes about 6 MB / minute. Of course, lowering the bitrate you reduce its size, but you lose some quality.. it's your job to find a good tradeoff for you.
    A last suggestion: avoid the use of the 56 k modem (which is, in truth, limited to a 5 k modem on the telephone line) and install an ADSL connection, for that stuff...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005