1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg-2 to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by team_truc, Feb 7, 2007.

1. team_truc

team_truc Guest

Hello All,

Been reading posts after posts. Cannot really find a solution to my issue. I built a pvr and have recorded shows using the Hauppauge tuner card. It saves the files on my computer as mpeg2 files. They are very large because I set it at the highest quality. 2 hours = 6 gig mpeg2 file. Now I need to put these files on a DVD. How can I compress or convert the file to fit on a regular DVD media. I know that I can just use dual layer media, but some files I have are over 12 gigs.

What is the best way to get these files on a single DVD? I would like to keep the quality as high as possible. What programs should I be looking at? I tried convertxtodvd or something like that but the quality becomes a little blurry during action scenes.

Any suggestions or how-tos I can read, or any programs I can try?

Any help greatly appreciated, very new to the world of this stuff!

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You need to provide some real details. Running times would help and statements like:

Aren't much help on where to start.

3. team_truc

team_truc Guest

What are running times?

I am just trying to get an mpeg2 file to fit onto a dvd. I think it has to be compressed or converted, (I am aware that mpeg2 is compressed already) I am really having trouble finding the correct software. I think I have a bottleneck of reading all kinds of posts, inside my brain right now!

4. Stax

Stax Member

Here's how I would do it
    Start with VSO DivxtoDVD, which does more than just Divx, load your mpeg-2 files and covert to DVD. Then load the files in DVD Shrink, to "shrink" them to the appropriate size, and burn away. Both DivxtoDvd and DVD Shrink are easily available and free.

Personally, I would try lowering your bitrate when you record. You'll probably yield better results with 2 hours = 4 Gig, so you don't have to do so much compression later.

5. team_truc

team_truc Guest

I will try that option, I will let you know how it went!

6. team_truc

team_truc Guest

Hey Stax,

I tried that option. Everything works fine (converting mpeg2 to DVD). The only issue (big issue) is that the quality blurs everytime there is action. Could it be I am doing something wrong? I am also using the trial version of DivXtoDVD. I know that it leaves that water mark, every minute it comes on every other minute. When the water mark is gone the video still blurs!

Any other ideas? Anybody?