1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg compression

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by soulcough, May 19, 2004.

1. soulcough

soulcough Member

i've captured video from vhs to my hard drive using ulead and an ati all in wonder, but the resulting file is bigger than 4.7gb. i've tried a few different things to compress the files so they'll fit on a dvd-r, but can't seem to get any of them to work right. what's the best way to go about this?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what you should have done was Calculated the Video Bitrate before Captureing the Movie so your file was the fight size to fit on a DVD after captureing it because if you have to use a Mpeg encoder to compress the file so it is smaller it will greatly reduce the quality....
    You can use pretty much any Mpeg2 encoder to compress the File Like the "MainConcept Encoder" or "Tmpgenc" would work fine but if you can capture the File again then that would be best and then use a Bitrate calculator to Calculate the Bitrate to use to capture the Movie based on it"s Length....good luck

3. soulcough

soulcough Member

i will definitely capture again. thank you for the advice.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

PS: a Good DVD Bitrate Calculator is called "PowerBit" it is freeware and you can find it by doing a google search...Cheers