1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg or Avi to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Scotty27, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Scotty27

Scotty27 Member

What i am trying to do is create a DVD that plays multiple media files on a dvd player (PS2). I would like it to have an interactive menu where i can choose what i want to watch.

Should I download the avi or mpeg format of media (what is the easiest to convert to dvd).

I also have a lot of mpeg-1 files which i would like to put on DVD. I would like to get on as much as possible but keep the quality good. Should I convert these to avi then dvd.

Please help me very confussed in how to do it and what programs i should use.

Thanks.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

First off MPEG-1 (or VCD as it most probably is) might not turn out that good once encoded to MPEG-2 DVD complaint [ie; the correct screen resolution & 48kHz audio].

There are plenty of encoders about but most take a LONG time to encode so I choose the easy option most of the time & go with [bold]MainConcept MPEG Encoder[/bold] ... but there are free encoders out there too. Of which the most commonly used is probably TMPGenc Plus...

Once I have a MPEG-2 (DVD Compliant) file I then add that/them files into TMPGenc DVD Author [30 day free trial] which I can then convert to VOB files. Of course adding a menu & if needed chapter points.
    TMPGenc DVD Author will burn the file(s) for you also or you can use Nero to burn your DVD-Video , but either way this is how I encode & watch multiple DVD-Rs that I have made on my PS2 v9 or Sony syand alone DVD Player :c)

Bob's your Uncle !

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Scotty27,

TMPGenc (AVI to DVD compatiable MPEG) then TMPGEnc DVD Author (to make menus and convert to VOB's) then burn to disc.

and the world is once again safe with all of your problems solved :)

Cheers and Welcome to aD :p)

Pete