1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg to AVI

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bosem, Apr 4, 2002.

1. bosem

bosem Member

I would like to convert a large mpeg file to avi in order to make it smaller, (of course)! However, I do not want to compromise on the quality, such as it is, of the Mpeg when it becomes the AVI. I have read on the various forums that this is possible with Virtualdub, True? if yes then how?
    dRD you helped me before and I once again, I am hoping you can help me now!
    Thanks Bo

2. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

you are joking about making it smaller by making an avi right? unless you make it a divx it gets bigger..yes virtual dub will do this and also tmpg will do it.open virtual dub and load in the mpeg,choose "full processing mode"(i think) then choose your video and audio codecs, then "save as avi"

3. bosem

bosem Member

Yes, I guess that is what I meant, I mean I have the codecs and all. it just gets confusing when I see divx as .avi and avi files as .avi.
    So it won't loos quality if I change the mgeg into the divx.avi?
    Thanks,Bo

4. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

You _always_ lose quality when re-encoding a video file using lossy compression. It's only the amount of quality loss you can affect. If the MPEG file your looking to convert is in MPEG1, you can open it directly in Virtualdub. If it's a VideoCD compatible clip, then the clip's video bitrate is 1150kbps, and audio bitrate 224kbps. If you want to make the file smaller, you have to use a lower bitrate for both video (probably DivX) and audio (probably MP3).

I'd suggest trying 700-800kpbs for DivX compression, and 128kbps for MP3 (remember that you have to select full processing mode for audio as well in Virtualdub, to be able to compress the audio track).

Hope that gets you started!

5. Sith1ord

Sith1ord Member

i read all these ways to compress things with divx but i cant find directions anywhere on how to take divx files and compress/convert them further after already being compressed with divx

6. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

Check out our article section

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/

The very first article deals with converting DivX+subtitles to VideoCD format. The same method can be applied to convert to Super VideoCD.