1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG to DVD with Nero Vison... atrocious

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Napalm97, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

When I follow this guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/272946 ...I use it to burn MPEG2 instead of his AVI files. I do everything high quality like he says, and it automatically burns after transcoding. It takes almost 2 hours.

When I actually play the DVD anywhere, there is a very loud and annoying clicking sound through the whole DVD and pixelation every other second. Other than that, everything is perfect.

Because of those reasons above, the DVD is unwatchable (another DVD to throw out in the garbage). I use Verbatim DVD-R with Advanced Azo. This was the first DVD I have tried with Verbatim. This problem happened with other DVDs too, so it's not Verbatim's fault, I just thought the new Verbatims I got would fix the problem because of their "superior technology".

Does anyone know what I should do? The source material is MPEG1 from a VCD and I converted to MPEG2 using TMPGEnc plus.

Anybody can help...

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Out of curiosity which version of Nero 7 are you using....example 7.0.0.0

3. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

4. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

5. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

Oh, I already knew 2 hours was normal.

And, why another version of Nero 7? Wouldn't it make more sense to go to version 6? I heard 6 was a lot better...

I really appreciate it.. cheers

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Why would you revert to a much older version when you have already paid for the LATEST versions, there are many improvements in Nero 7...it's your choice however.

I use and recommend 7.5.9.0 NOTHING else

7. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

So that version fixes the bug I created the thread about? What about earlier versions? Is it just 7.2.3.2 that has the bug?

8. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Thats why I responded.

There are several versions of Nero 7 that are "buggy"...the very first version 7.0.0.0 was the first....believe me 7.5.9.0 is in my opinon the best of Nero7 and I have been using Nero for some time...as I said it's your decision, all we can do is to pass on our recommendations...which we have gained through experience.

9. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

discard

10. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

Hey, I "re-did" the DVD, and it came out perfect... but...

I have a question about SmartEncoding: The file that I made into DVD was MPEG2, which is already "DVD". So it does not re-encode the file, because it's already "DVD".

Now a new question arises: is the quality better when SmartEncoding is off... or on (does not re-encode)?? Or is the quality the same?

Also, are the selected options in the guide in the first post the absolute best quality settings? What if I turn on "progressive" for sample format, Dolby Digital 5.1 for audio, etc? I did notice that the sound quality seems "softer" than before when it was on VCD.

And, I'm going to send a copy of the DVD to my mate in England, who has a PAL DVD player or something. Does it really matter if I make the DVD in NTSC or PAL?

As I said, I want the 100% best quality I can (no matter how long it takes to encode, or how much space it takes on the disc)... hopefully more experienced users can help me out...

Cheers,

11. Napalm97

Napalm97 Member

...anyone? I'm sure someone knows "best quality settings" out there...

I have burned a few DVDs with the exact same video and settings, but now it only takes an hour at most... what's missing?? Or, does the version 7.5.9.0 do everything a lot faster?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007