1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG (VCD) converting problems, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SuperG03, Sep 29, 2003.

1. SuperG03

SuperG03 Member

Hi all,

First, I want to say that I am neither a newbie nor a guru. I am trying to convert a VCD MPEG that plays correcly, into DIVX or XVID. The problem is that whenever I am done with the re-encoding process, the video and audio are NOT in sync. First let me tell you that I have encoded other VCD MPEGs, and they are just fine. Just certain ones seem to have this problem, and I don't know what to do to fix it. The audio at the begining is perfectly in sync with the video, but as it plays out, the problem gets worse. I know it is not my computer, as I have a p4 2.8 GHz computer with 512MB RAM, and since other conversions are successful. I am using the latest version of VirtualDub. When I open the mpeg in vdub and click on file info. I get the following info:
    Video Track
    Frame size, fps (us per frame) = 352x240, 29.970 fps (33367 us)
    # of frames = 76896
    Audio Track
    Format = 44KHz stereo, 224Kbps layer II
    # of frames = 98007

I am trying to create a ~233MB DIVX or XVID file, (with MP3 audio at 96kbps). I have tried to encode it two different ways. First, I checked the video --> frame rate... menu. Under "Source rate adjustment", the first time I left it at No Change (current: 29.970 fps), and re-encoded it. The audio and video by the end were WAY off. Then I tried again, but this time I used the "change so video and audio durations match (30.035 fps). This time AGAIN the video and audio were off. But this time by less than the first. In both cases the audio started out matching but became less synched towards the end. I have no idea what to do. If anyone has ANY suggestions I would appreciate it. TIA.

SuperG03

2. deester1

deester1 Member

if it is of any use i have the same problem when using nero vision express to convert files...are you using nero6?

3. alfbriff

alfbriff Member

I download a movie in cd1 and cd2.with these exentions: name of movie.swe sub M SVCD.mpg.
    I tried to run it on Divx but is giving me this msg: Failed to open. Please check that it is a valid AVI or MPG-4 file. Can anyone help me to run this movie

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

To play it you need to use a software dvd player of sorts (i.e., PowerDVD or WinDVD).

5. deester1

deester1 Member

im coming to the conclusion that it depends on the way the video was captured/encoded in the first place.recently i tried to make a dvd from a file i captured myself from a digital camcorder.the avi flie played fine in media player but the audio started in time and gradually got "earlier".i tried all sorts of settings but every time i burned the dvd it was the same.i recaptured the whole file and hey
    presto it burned ok.you could try lifting the mpeg from the disk and recoding using sound forge "vegas video"its about the best you can get.and is the industry standard for pc video editing..but its not cheap.
    oh and for the guy thats trying to play mpeg in xvid or divx.it wont work xvid and divx only play avi or mpg4 files.SVCD are mpeg2..you should be able to play it in media player so long as you have a good set of codec's installed!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2003
  6. alfbriff

alfbriff Member

deester, thanks for your advise. From where can I download a good setc of codecs to watch the video on the media player?

7. deester1

deester1 Member

well firstly if your connected to the net and try to play a "common" file.media player will download the codec automaticaly.
    if you need a specific codec i usually use google to search for them..the divx codec's come with the free player and will still work in windows media player.xvid codec's are easy to find with google.most of the comon codecs ie mpg mpeg1 mpeg2 mp3 so on are usually already installed in media player.if you have nero6 then you will also have dvd codecs installed from its media player.once you have the codecs installed they will usually work with any player.ie i almost always use media player to play divx movies even though i have the divx player.only thing with media player is it rarely tells you is you have a codec missing.it just comes up with an error.try the file you wanna play first.a usefull program is gspot.you can run it on a video file and it will tell you which codec you need to play it.i think you can get gspot from this site..if not try google again(or any other decent search engine).i used to have a second buisness digitaly editing video but time and first job got in the way.i still do the odd favors for friends..edit a wedding video..convert to dvd etc so i get all sorts of video mailed to me and over time ive built up many codec's so these days its rare i find a video i cant play..if i do i run gspot on it and search the codec.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member