1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mpeg1 to Mpeg 2

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Paolo75, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Paolo75

Paolo75 Member

Im running the risk of sounding really stupid here, but is there a simple way of converting Mpeg1 files to Mpeg2 so i can convert them into vob files and burn to dvd. Ive tried a few programmes such as TMPGEnc and WinMPG Convertor, but they only seem to convert from AVI to MPEG1 or AVI to MPEG2, not just a straight MPEG1 to MPEG2

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if your Mpeg1 files are a certain Resolution then you will Not have to Re-encode them to Put them on DVD..The SIF DVD Standard supports Mpeg1 files with 352+240-NTSC/352+288-Pal Resolution which is the same as the VCD standard so if your Files are VCD files then you can author them to DVD but you will have to resample the audio to 48000hz...This is the best way to go about it because re-encodeing Low resolution Mpeg1 files to High Resolution mpeg2 files will Just ruin any quality that the Files had in the First Place...But to re-encode the Mpeg1 files to Mpeg for DVD you can use Tmpgenc ,You said you tried it but you must have done something wrong because Tmpgenc supports allmost every Video Format accept RM ,and if you have a Problem with it then Let us know what it is and we will try to help you ,because Most all other Mpeg encoder suck Crap......Cheers

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

the reason you don't see a mpeg1 to mpeg2 is because there is no logic to do this...mpeg1 quality will get worse to convert to mpeq2 because the size of the picture will increase to make it mpeg2 compliant.

4. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

This maybe off the subject but it has to do with MPeg4.
    I used NERO Recode 2 Which is awsome by the way) to re-encode a DVD to NERO digital mpeg4 format. The original DVD was around 4 gigs. When re-encoded using NERO recode 2's High definition profile the file was reduced to 2 gigs and looks ALOT better than the original DVD. It took a while to re-encode but if it saves 2 gig and looks better I am all for it. How could I burn this to a DVD? Is it possible? What would I use ? Thanks in advance

Matt

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well First Off Your Eyes are decieveing you if you believe the Quality is Better after encodeing to Mpeg4 than the Original DVD..The Whole Proscess Of compression is the Looseing of Video Data, it just Looses Video data that is less Percieveable to the Eye but the fact is everytime you Compress a File no matter what codec or compression Format you are useing you allways Loose some Quality, It Probably looks Better because you did it and you believe it looks Better...So to Put this Mpeg4 File on to DVD you will Have to Re-encode it again to Mpeg2 and then loose a Buch More Quality in the Proscess and the File will Jump back up to about 4gb so if your Whole Purpose what to Back up this DVD to DVD-R then you are Totally going about it the Wrong way..If you are Useing Nero-Recode then use an Option that Backs it up to DVD and Not Mpeg4...(Mpeg4 is the Same Format that DivX and XviD use)....Good Luck

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

I know it would seem that way. But when I play them side by side on my duel screen monitors the PowerDVD playing the original and Recode playing on the second monitor CLEARLY looks way better than the original DVD. I also outputed the recode version to my DVI connection on my HDTV and it also looks way better than the original. No background artifacts as seen in the original. Want a screen shot? I have a 5 megapixal camera? Also I saw a Mpeg4 DVD player on ebay for 128 bucks.. Thanks for the help anyway

Matt

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003