1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg2 encoding- weird outcome

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bosem, Feb 5, 2002.

1. bosem

bosem Member

I need help!
    After doing extensive reading on the forums and guides I finally decided to change my avi to mpeg2 for burning a svcd.
    Well, the sound came out great! the picture is about 2 times too fast. can't seem to find any posts with this problem and I am hoping that dRD can help me.....

Thanks, Bo

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

What encoder did you use and what player/codec did you use for playback?

3. bosem

bosem Member

I used TMPGenc to encode. As for codecs I know I have the 3.11 and 4 in my computer, from before conversion. I downloaded an mpeg2 codec when the file was found unknown or unsuported, although I was surprised that I needed one since I have an Mpeg2 card hardware and I use Creative Playcenter for watching all my movies. (except quicktime). It also would not play correctly in Media Player.
    Now I have deleted it and willing to try again, just waiting to learn from your experience and knowledge...

Thanks again,
    Bo

Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  4. dRD

DivX codecs don't have anything to do with MPEG-2, DivX is one version of MPEG-4. Try to encode the video with TMPGEnc (use some short clip to save time :) and try to play it with PowerDVD XP 4.0 which supports SVCD.

5. bosem

bosem Member

Thanks for your reply!

I did use TMPGEnc to encode, it's just that I thought maybe my configuration was wrong. I did it based on what I learned from forums and guides on the net.

I do not understand why I would need another player if creative or M M player should do the trick-and don't!

Thanks again for your help...
    Bo

6. dRD

The thing is that Windows doesn't ship with MPEG-2 codec and you need one to play MPEG-2 clips. I personally use solution that I have registered WinDVD installed on my computer and that installs pretty good MPEG-2 codec to computer and after that I can use regular Windows Media Player to watch MPEG-2 clips. Some MPEG-2 codecs are rather crappy and might result in weird situations, that's why I asked you to check it with PowerDVD, because PowerDVD's codec is pretty good and if there's no problem when played with PDVD, then you can safely assume that the problem is with the playback instead of the encoding.

7. bosem

bosem Member

OK- I will try it again from the beginning and I will let you know. I hope you won't mind if I contact you again.

One last question...
    When I encoded, the guide I used put the .avi file into both video and sound as sound was mp3 and I chose 2pass conversion. I saw on this forum that it is recomended to split the file into wav. Is this really necessary?I don't have that much room on my hard drive for a big wav file (I already split the file in 2 with VirtualDub).

Well that's it for now, have a nice day!
    Bo

8. dRD

Hm, if I remember correctly SVCD doesn't allow MP3 audio, but the audio needs to be in MP2 instead. I might be wrong again :)

9. bosem

bosem Member

sorrry, must clarify- the original .avi file had mp3 sound I used 2pass etc. in TMPGEnc when encoding....

Bo

10. dRD

Ah, then it should be OK. But really, do the trick and see if it works with PowerDVD.

11. bosem

bosem Member

Would winDVD work the same way? As I found the software/drivers that came with the Mpeg Card, just never needed them before this...

Thanks again
    Bo

12. bosem

bosem Member

IT WORKED! with windvd.. finally and the picture is really nice, very smooth.
    I just have to work with the encoding, I used a resolution that made it come out a little squashed. back to the 18 hour drawing board....

Thank you very much dRD for your kind help and patience.
    Bo

13. dRD

480*480 is SVCD resolution (NTSC) and I think WinDVD can't resize it to show it in correct aspect ratio, so don't care if it doesn't show correctly with WinDVD, it should be OK with your DVD player (and with PowerDVD which does support SVCD resolution correctly).

14. bosem

bosem Member

Let me refrase that, it's not the resolution, I know that that is set in svcd. I meant the screen size (sorry). The avi file is 576x256 and it's an ntsc. When I chose svcd ntsc template and 16:9 etc. ntsc that's when it came out squat. Why am I finding this so difficult to get and understand???
    Bo

15. dRD

Hm, I _think_ you need to select "16:9 NTSC" and "Fit to frame (preserve aspect ratio)". Tweak with those two settings and encode only like 2 mins of the video (source range) to avoid 2-20h wait for each test :)

16. bosem

bosem Member

Thanks again for your response. However, it did not work (no Fit to Frame preserve aspect ratio - so I tried center keep aspect ratio. Now I am trying 4:3 525 line ntsc and will see how this works. As I asked will this happen every time I want to encode a new file? Is there a website that explains what 1:1 is as opposed to 4:3 525 or 16:9.....
    Thanks, Bo

17. dRD

Normally 1:1 is good for DivX conversion, but I haven't tried that for 16:9 SVCDs. 1:1 is basically "don't mess with any of the settings, use the pic as it is", but I don't know if it correctly adds black bars if required or not.

18. bosem

bosem Member

ALL RIGHT!! It finally worked!
    I used full screen keep aspect ratio and 1:1VGA, it seems to exactly like the original avi. file and with the black bars to boot. (which I am happy about).
    Thank you so much for all your help! I really do appreciate it. I continue with the hope that this will work for all future conversions and should you have any more tips I will gladly read them all.
    Many thanks, Bo