1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG2 not displaying 16:9...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Vixtro, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Vixtro

Vixtro Member

Hi there, I have recorded some footage with my camera which records onto 8cm DVD-RW. When I finalise the disk, it plays back fine on any DVD player at an aspect ratio of 16:9 even though the video resolution is 720x576. I took the .VOB file from the disk and converted it to MPEG2 using "MPEG Video Wizard" and then checked the file parameters with "MediaInfo" and it all matches up with the original .VOB with the 16:9 aspect ratio as well.

The MPEG2 doesn't playback in 16:9 on any media player but I thought nothing of it because the .VOB didn't either, only when the original DVD was played it did. So I burned it to a DVD with Nero 7 Premium only to discover to my dismay that it plays back 4:3, not 16:9 as it should. I then tried again but this time forcing it to 16:9 aspect ratio, all this did was add black boarders to the sides of my video.

I'm guessing this is something to do with the file itself, either there must be a special way to extract a .VOB properly from a DVD other than what I'm doing which is simply dragging and dropping. Or something went wrong when I converted it into MPEG2.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I can't reconcile the two statements;was the vob (when dragged into MediaInfo) 16:9 or 4:3)
    Is the mpeg from Mpeg Video Wizard 16:9 or 4:3 (MediaInfo).

In my case, my Panasonic DVDR creates horizontally squeezed 4:3 from widescreen input.
    This is because the recorder fails to flag the output as WS.
    My players pass it through as 4:3 and the widescreen TV can expand it so that it looks like the original.

In your case, I would have patched the converted the VOB files to mpeg using 'VOB2MPG' then patched that file to 16:9 with DVD Patcher.
    At each step checking the output with a media player like VLC which reads the flags.

3. Vixtro

Vixtro Member

Thank you for the reply, both the VOB and converted MPEG are 16:9, they just didn't playback 16:9 on any of my media players or when I burned the MPEG to a DVD. I got VLC though and tried that, I started up a new OS installation a few months ago and hadn't got around to putting VLC back on so I never thought to try it. VLC displays both the VOB and MPEG in 16:9 so there's nothing wrong there with the files, it must be Nero not reading this flag you were talking about.

So is there anyway I can get Nero to read the flag and burn it 16:9? Or am I better off just using a different DVD authoring program?

4. attar

attar Senior member

I haven't used Nero for a long time - perhaps a new post in the Nero Forum would get some response, that aside I have the same problem using DVD Flick.
    It's supposed to do it automatically, but I find I have to do this:

First load/drag the mpeg into DVD Flick.

After clicking 'Project Settings' to set PAL or NTSC;then 'Video' > 'Advanced' > 'Copy mpeg2 streams' (if the source is DVD compliant it wont recode, thus faster....

Back on the main screen, click 'Edit Title' and set 'Target Aspect Ratio' 'Widescreen 16:9'

Then create the DVD.

You can set the project to burn the disk - but you should test the output first.

[​IMG]

5. Vixtro

Vixtro Member

Thanks allot, that worked out great and what's better is I don't have to have menu's unless I want them. Cheers!

6. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.
    Thank you for the follow-up feedback.