1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG2 on SD Card?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by sweller, Jan 9, 2010.

1. sweller

sweller Member

Hi, Folks.

I'm so ignorant and new at this that I don't know where or even how to ask this question. But I figure the combined knowledge here will put me on the path to success.

I have a shiny new Panasonic DMP-BD60K that claims to be able to play MPEG2 files on an SD card. The Internet Archive is packed with public domain videos (Love Buster Keaton!), but I haven't been able to figure out what the player expects to see before it will even display the file. JPEGs are no problem. It finds and displays them wherever I bury them on the card. But no luck with MPEG2s. I suspect the file structure has something to do with it, but I'm clueless to figure it out. Panasonic support can't even be expected to return an email.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Steve in NM

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I looked at the product manual and it mentions avchd and mpeg-2
    are supported, but it doesn't go into much detail...

Unless you phone them (they should have free tech support) it looks
    like trial and error to me.

3. sweller

sweller Member

Exactly. Further, the manual is ambiguous as to whether or not it will only read MPEG2s created on a Panasonic camcorder.

I've emailed them twice with no response. (Should I have to call?) The next hour I spend in terms of support will be to return it. SD card capability was a deal-breaker for me. Do I sound miffed?

Steve in NM

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  5. sweller

sweller Member

Just got off the phone with them. It wasn't as bad as I expected (except for the satellite delay). Unfortunately, they couldn't help me figure out what the drive is looking for. We jointly concluded that it must simply be the way the MPEG2 is configured - rather than it being an incorrect file structure.

I've looked through the How-To guides and didn't see anything specific for creating/converting an MPEG2 for playback from SD card.

Any suggestions?

6. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Have you tried mp4 ? It says it plays AVCHD,
    give it a try. While you're at it, try MKV also.

7. sweller

sweller Member

Taknig a different approach (MP4 to AVCHD), I stumbled onto multiAVCHD which has a setting specifically for converting videos to AVCHD for playback on Panasonic Blu-Ray players from SD cards. It works well, but the videos need to be of a minimum quality. Yet another hurdle. :p