1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPEG2 to DVD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Uzi70, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Uzi70

Uzi70 Member

Hey people,
    Im havin a problem writing my mpeg2 files to dvds. I have Nero 6 with the whole suite and it does not accept the mpeg files. I know i need my files to be *.bup, *.vob or *.ifo . i do not know any program that can convert my mpeg files to these file types.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Nero Does Not Author DVD"s it will Only Burn DVD Video folders to DVD-R....
    What you need is a DVD authoring Program so you can add your Chapters and Menu"s and then Format it all into a Video_TS folder and Burn it to DVD-R....
    the easiest one to use is Probably "Tmpgenc DVD author" but it is a Little to basic For me, I like useing "DVD-Lab" or "Ulead DVD Workshop 2.0" or any Number of others will also do the Job...Cheers

3. blivie

blivie Guest

I have an HP PC running XP home with a DVD+RW 100i DVD burner. I have created a home movie using still pictures and Pinnacle Studio 7 SW and want to burn the project to DVD. I have DVDit or MyDVD, but there doesn't appear to be a way to input my Pinnacle Project into that SW. If someone can tell me how, that would be great. If it's not possible, then what SW should I buy that will take my Studio Project and convert it/burn it to DVD without locking up or being a big hassle?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You need to export your Pinnicale Project as an AVI file and then you can use MyDVD or DVDit to create the DVD...

5. blivie

blivie Guest

Thanks - I will try to do a test run soon to see if it works....but I recall MyDVD asking which project I wanted to open and all it wanted to look for were .dvd files....I didn't see an option for .avi files....is there a different "import" function that I'm not aware of?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I personally do not use MyDVD but I have tried it and there Must be a different Import function, Don"t use the open project options accept to maybe start a new Project..Most DVD authoring Programs have a Media pool were you load all of the Files you want to use on the DVD and that is were you load the Files into the Program, i know DVDit Pro 2.5 does, I"m also sure there is a Help file with MyDVD that will give you basic instructions....

7. blivie

blivie Guest

Thanks - I made a small .avi file last night and was able to import it into MyDVD by going to the "movie" tab. Seemed to work OK but the final DVD dropped the sound half way through and cut video off at the end. And the pictures I scanned in had ripples in them.....I bought Pinnacle Studio 9 today - it is supposed to allow touch ups of pictures ---- and I'll see if the DVD making function works better than MyDVD since it's integrated in the program....thanks again for the help.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

You should not be useing AVI files in your DVD Authoring Program because the quality will Suffer because the Encoders that are built into DVD authoring Programs are Crap, even the Good ones have Crappy encoders...
    If you want the best Possible Quality you should take your AVI files and encode the To Mpeg2/DVD useing a High Quality Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or MainConcept or Canopus Procoder, and then after encodeing to Mpeg2 for DVD useing the DVD authoring Program to Author the Mpeg2 file to DVD without re-encodeing...
    Or you can use software that will Capture your Video Directly to Mpeg2/DVD format, the Quality might not be as good as Captureing to AVI and then useing a High Quality encoder to encode the File to Mpeg2 but it should be better than letting MyDVD encode your AVI file to Mpeg2....Cheers