1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpeg2 to xvcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dbecker, Nov 8, 2002.

1. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I encoded a svcd mpeg using tmpgenc(I have not burn't the file). I would like to be able to convert it to xvcd. Is this possible without going thru the whole re-encoding process???

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Guest

Sorry, you're are going to have to re-encode as SVCD uses MPEG-2 format and XVCD uses MPEG-1 format.

3. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

what about if it was vcd...what would it take to convert it to xvcd????

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I think that depends on your player. My standalone DVD player that plays xvcd in the 2300kbps region will also happily play a standard vcd mpeg stream on the same xvcd disc.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

What's the point to convert VCD to XVCD? Once the video is encoded, it's quality can't be made better, whatever you do.

6. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

No point really, but perhaps dbecker is asking if the two streams (vcd and xvcd) can coexist on the same VCD? No?

7. dRD

They should be able to be, I mean if you have something like musicvideo collection and some of the clips are VCD and some XVCD clips, it should work, provided that your player supports XVCD (which is not a standard).

8. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

Thanks for all the input...I realized when I asked to make vcd to xvcd, this would not be smart because vcd is less quality than xvcd. What I was tryng to do is eliminate spending my hours encoding different ways. Everytime time I make a movie for myself (svcd), I have friends that want vcd and now I have a friend that has a sony player that plays xvcd...maybe i need to get new friends...thanks again...

9. dRD

Or get DVD-R drives, probably the easiest method :)