1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpegs not playing

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by droog, May 14, 2003.

1. droog

droog Guest

First, I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question! I'm afraid I don't know much about this sort of stuff.

After I formatted my hard drive a couple months, I haven't been able to play most mpeg files. I was able to before, and I can't figure why they're not playing because I have all the same players as I had before. I keep getting errors like... Windows Media Player says "class not registered", RealOne just gives me an illegal operation and closes, Winamp doesn't do anything at all, Quick Time says it's missing software. The players also give me those same errors when I try to play this one avi file too.

I can't find any info on the net about this problem! I'm guessing I'm missing some sort of codec...? But I have no idea which one I need. Can anyone help??

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

XviD Koepi's (afterdawn software section)
    DivX (latest one...probably 5.05 although I'm still using 5.03)
    DivX 3.11 Alpha

Thats all I have installed and there isn't anything I'm not able to play : )

3. droog

droog Guest

I already had both those DivX things installed, and I just installed that XviD too. Didn't seem to help at all. :(

Any other suggestions?

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Before you formatted your computer, did you by chance download any codecs besides the usual ones like divx or xvid. you say mpegs right, so it cant be the divx codec you need. im not too sure on the various mpeg codecs you might need but perhaps youll have luck in finding them. sorry if this isnt a solution but since i dont know much about mpeg codecs, ill try looking for more info on the subject.

5. droog

droog Guest

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have any other codecs before... but, I'm not completely sure. @_@

Yesterday I downloaded 2 other video files that were both avi's, and they won't play either. Same errors. Hm. I download I a lot of videos though(mostly anime), and I don't have this problem very often. I have stuff saved on cd that used to play fine, but won't work now. So I know I'm not just getting bad files. =/

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Which codecs did you install? And the vids that were burned on cd, what were the codecs that you used to view them? also some of your newly downloaded files may be fake...If they have a FourCC of '0', then they are. Use a program called gspot to see. Heres the link:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: May 19, 2003
  7. droog

droog Guest

I installed everything that herbsman recommended. I think I've gotten all the mpeg files to work now... I have no idea how THAT happened though. After I opened them up in GSpot they started working again. *confused* But I'm still having problems with some avi's. I can only play some of them with DivX Player, but they'll only play up to the middle and then restart(3 different files have done this so far). It also won't let me fast forward or rewind at all. Any idea why that happens?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!! :D

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Not too sure what the problem is, but try other players, like WMP or zoomplayer. See if that helps any.

9. max777

max777 Member

Same problem here. Can't play MPEG. Anyone find a fix for this?

GSPOT won't even open MP2, and AVIcodec simply says it's an MP2, but my desktop plays them fine and I've burned DVD's off them.

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

11. max777

max777 Member

Thank you, installing a DVD player does work. I figured that part out. I also figured out that the Main Concept "MPEG Splitter" was causing MPEG playback to stutter. It also prevents some encoders from functioning. I removed the registry key using DXMAN and everything plays great now. STRANGE!

Hopefully I'll be able to still use Vegas and Main Concept MPEG Encoder without the splitter...

DXMAN -- Codec viewer, remover (great tool)
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/dxman.htm