1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpg file

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by arlene, May 2, 2004.

1. arlene

arlene Guest

I've got an mpg video file. How do I copy it to dvdr?

2. grogey

grogey Guest

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi arlene
    If its a dvd compiant mpeg,then all you have to do is author it, with a dvd authoring software,like,TMPGEnc dvd author.If its not compliant,then you have to convert with a mpeg convertor like TMPGEnc encoder or the like....see this guide, encoder and dvd author trial versions available on the link:http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=othertodvd&name=tmpegenc

guide for dvd author: http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides.php?category=dvdauthor&name=tmpegencdvdauthor
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Even if it's not a DVD compliant MPEG you may be able to author it to a DVD without converting. If it's VCD compliant, all you should have to do is convert the audio to 48kHz. If it's SVCD compliant you still need to convert the audio, but since SVCD resolution isn't DVD compliant, there are some players that won't play it on correctly, but many (most?) will. If you don't mind potentially wasting a blank it's worth trying because SVCD has a low enough bitrate that you really don't want to convert it if it can be avoided.

The best tool for authoring either a VCD or SVCD to DVD is DVD-Lab, which you can find in Afterdawn's software section. When you import the MPEG file it can demux and convert audio for you, and unlike many authoring packages it will author a non-compliant DVD.

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Vcd is dvd compliant,or at least it is in dvd author.
    I use this vcd template all the time to make it able to put four or more movies on one dvd.

Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)

Everyone is always saying it has to be redone to 48khz,not in dvd author it doesnt.Its only two channel stereo, but it looks and sounds pretty good on my big screen and through my bose stereo.
    Its not as good as a dvd of course but in between vhs, and dvd in quality.
    The best thing to do is try a trial version of whatever authoring program you choose and try adding the files,most will tell you if something is done wrong.
    good luck
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Isnt VCD mpeg1?

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but the DVD standard allows VCD resolution MPEG-1. Technically, I think the bitrate is too low to be DVD compliant, but I've never seen a player that wouldn't play that low a bitrate on a DVD.

jim_dandy: It's true that most players will play VCD audio on a DVD, because VCD just uses the same sampling rate as CD, but there are some players that won't handle it, and since your player is going to convert to 48kHz before playing it anyway, you might as well take the extra step and do it yourself (which also gives you control over the quality of the conversion).

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

After I rip the vobs from the vcd mpegs, using dvd author,and burn with nero,I havent found one dvd player, that wont play these discs, and I have several, between my portable players, and home players.Ive even tried these on friends and neighbors players, they all worked just fine.

Im not saying your wrong, and im right, im just telling you how they have been working for me.
    My steps for vcd mpeg 1's: are smartripper/dvd2avi/tmpgemc encoder/dvd author/nero

Im wondering how you came about this info, that this wont play in most players,is it from experience, or just hearsay.

This isnt what arlene was asking, but I just wanted to point out to you that 41khz will work,and does work in every player that ive tried them in.

The reason I do it this way is that, I have one dvd with over 5 hours of movies on it,so I can put one of these in my mini-van player(or in one of my other portables) and I wont hear from my kids while were traveling for several hours(how can that be a bad thing)

On bigger t.v.'s you can see the difference, but I dont make them for bigger sets.

If you can tell me how to re-sample my audio and not make one movie over 3 gigs then im willing to listen.
    This is a size issue not a quality issue,mpeg 2 gives you better quality definitely.
    12 veggie tales on one dvd(omg),my kids cant see the difference.
    blaze on clubbers
    jim