1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mpg to divx to dvd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by fatazzcav, Mar 1, 2005.

1. fatazzcav

fatazzcav Guest

i was wondering if anyone can help me out how to convert a mpg file to a divx to a dvd so i can burn it and play it on my home dvd player? I am using a Macintosh Powermac G5 dual 2.5 computer and need some help. Thanks

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

First you must understand a few things.
    DVD players can only read mpeg-2 (and in some cases, mpeg-1) video files, not avi, divx, mov, rm, nor any other format, unless you specifically purchase a player for these.
    You do not want to convert to divx, and then back to DVD.
    The DVD structure is very specific, and for movies to play on your home player, the mpegs must be authored and then burned to dvdr properly.
    Take a look around for "FfmpegX", probably the best encoder/author/burn app there is for Mac.

3. fatazzcav

fatazzcav Guest

thank you rebootjim. i wasnt 100% sure that i understood the process how to do this. i definetly was way off..hehe thanks again

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

FYI there's a dedicated MAC/ffmpegx forum at www.videohelp.com that deals with ffmpegx and it's full of helpful people, as well as a few tutorials.