1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPG to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xpander, May 24, 2004.

1. xpander

xpander Member

Can someone tell me how or give me a link for the simplest way to do this?

I've used nero express and it works on smaller files, but when I tried it with a larger film (95mins) it spent 3.5 hrs encoding and then fails saying :-

...VOB1 CELL1 VOBU7796 VOBU_S_PTM 421003631 VOBU_E_PTM 421057631 (173)

##########################################################################################
    ERROR:
    cause: 58 (disk_full)
    source: _VOBS
    description: There is not enough space on the disk.

##########################################################################################

DumpExceptionInformation(): Caught SEH Exception 0xe06d7363 during encoding
    DumpExceptionInformation(): Exception was raised from C:WINDOWSsystem32kernel32.dll at RVA 0x00013887

ERROR:
    cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    source: _VOBS::DoGuardedProcessing ()
    description: Exception during encoding

Any advice would be appreciated or even just point me in the right direction.

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Well, it says your HD is full. I'm assuming you've checked that in advance before encoding. You'll need at least double the space of what you're encoding. e.g. if you're encoding up to 4 GB, you'll need at least 8 GB of space.

Secondly, I wouldn't use the Nero encoder because the output is horrible. Use a dedicated encoder like TMPGEnc, ProCoder, MainConcept, CCE, or whatever.

3. xpander

xpander Member

Thanx for advise. I think there was enough space but will double check. The mpg file is only 820MB and once Nero analyses the file, it says it requires 3.77GB, so I'm assuming I then need approx 8GB.

Now when you say encoding for better quality is that using TMPGEnc or MainConcept, does that convert a mpg video file to a VOB file (audio + video), which in turn is then easy to burn to dvd using Nero?

4. daba

daba Guest

Hi xpander,

A standalone MPEG encoder (like TMPGEnc) will produce a MPG file, not a VOB file.

But if the MPG file is DVD-video compliant, you can import it in NVE (NeroVision Express) and author your DVD. [bold]In theory[/bold] NVE won't re-encode the file.

Of course you can also use another authoring tool:
    - DVDAuthorGui (free but basic)
    - DVD Styler (free)
    - TMPGEnc DVD Author (70 $)
    - DVD-Lab (100 $)

Daba

5. xpander

xpander Member

Nero express accepted the mpg, when asked to add video file, so I'm assuming it was compliant and the only problem was the space issue on the hard drive.

6. daba

daba Guest

If NVE re-encodes your MPEG files then it means NVE considers your file is [bold]not[/bold] DVD-video compliant.

Of course NVE may be wrong. It happened to me: a file encoded at 8000 kbps CBR was not re-encoded but the same source encoded at 6000 kbps VBR was re-encoded. As far as I know, there is no way to prevent NVE to re-encode the file. Play with your encoder's settings or give a try to another authoring tool.

Daba

7. xpander

xpander Member

I split the video file in two and burnt to DVD no problems, even watched boths parts downstairs. Woo hah!

So after I thought I would try burning the whole film again and checked my space on the hard drive, 12GB free space. So left it burning overnight as it was gonna take 4 hrs.

Now it had failed again due to the same error posted at the start of this thread. But there was also a warning from windows xp saying low on disk space on computer! which I thought was odd as I had 12 GB of space before I started.

8. devilbear

devilbear Member

I dont have much of a clue with computers but im pretty sure this is a similar problem.
    Im trying to burn dvd from avi files and mpg files with nerovision and it accepts the file. i make the menu, yadayada, go to burn and this error pops up. got plenty of disk free too

ERROR
    source: CAC3Encoder::Initialize
    description: cannot find or initialize NeAcEnc.dll

if anyone could help itd be awesome
    cheers

9. devilbear

devilbear Member

i just did a search for that neacenc.dll file and its in the neroviosion folder guessing its in the right spot so...?
    any help?

10. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

One simple thing to check ... you may have some files on your hard drive that you think you deleted but they're not COMPLETELY deleted ... try running Norton's Clean Sweep if you have it or, if you don't, then just use Disk Clean-up ... Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Disk Clean-up. That should get rid of EVERYTHING you've deleted, for real. It often clears up the "not-enough-disk space" error.

Good luck ...

11. devilbear

devilbear Member

thanks but that didnt work i got >20GB free but i did the clean up thing anyway and i just tried burning again and it comes up with:

"unable to prepare data for recording:prepare session failed:transcoding of videos failed"

then:

"burn process failed!
    error log file created..."

the only error i can find in the log file is:

"ERROR
    source: CAC3Encoder::Initialize
    description: cannot find or initialize NeAcEnc.dll"

any ideas?