1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS-DOS Trouble on XP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by datbdatb, Jan 3, 2006.

1. datbdatb

datbdatb Member

Okay, so I found The Incredible Machine cd-rom game at Goodwill the other day, and when I try to play it I get this error message (I've gotten this message before any other time I've tried to open an MS-DOS based game.. this is the first time I cared enough to try and fix it). A description of the problem is in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

The specific file that it mentions in my error message is autoexec.nt. I tried solving the problem through the instructions on that website, but it doesn't work. I called Microsoft support line, and the woman told me that MS-DOS is obsolete and they no longer provide support for it.

So... any ideas? Anybody ever have this same problem?

datb

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what is the windows or dos requirements of the game?

3. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

windows xp service pack 2 does not allow ms-dos titles to be run and the incredible machine requires dos 4 gw wich is a special boot file that comes in most games like duke nukem and even the original doom

there is a way to run it though it will only cost you 200.00 it is called microsoft virtual pc

it allows you to run multiple os's in windows xp home and professional

but even then you need a copy of msdos 6.22 and must no how to partition a hard drive and format a hard drive as well
    because microsofts virtual pc uses a file that is called a virutal hard drive partiton not a real hard drive you can access in windows xp just a file that is 6 gigs and once ran in virtual pc becomes bigger depends on your requirements

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can also try compatibility wizard that is in xp i think in system tools.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and open the "WINDOWS" folder.

Find the folder called REPAIR.

Look for the file named "AUTOEXEC.NT" -- Right click / Copy

Move back to windows/System32 folder -- Right click / Paste in an empty spot -- click Ok to replace.

Try your game ! If it stills acts up -- repeat the same procedure from the Repair folder but with ""CONFIG.NT""

You should be OK

6. datbdatb

datbdatb Member

Thank you very much, that worked perfectly.

datb

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You are welcome ! Have fun with your Game now !

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ Jeanc1, I have seen a few of your posts & your knowledge of windows is simply staggering. If I knew half as much as you I would be an extremely happy chappy!

In fact I feel rather a dumbass now! LOL!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  9. Xian

Xian Regular member

One other thing you can always try if you are having trouble getting a DOS game to run is DOSBox. It emulates a dos machine with sound card, and only the most demanding DOS games don't run on it if you have a fast computer.
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1
    I use it for playing things like Magic Carpet, System Shock, and Crusader No Remorse, along with others that don't play well in Windows XP, and I know that The Incredible Machine worked well with it too.
    Be sure to read the documentation and faq though, it tells you how to mount drives or iso images of old games and other useful information.

10. rundata

rundata Guest

also another alternative to microsoft virtual pc is, VMWare or you could also try Bosch both are available on the sourceforge website i beleive