1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

msconfig and regedit changes

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by onya, Jan 17, 2007.

1. onya

onya Guest

Hi to all, My current rig was getting quite sluggish especially when re-booting. It seemed to take an age...so I made a back up of the registry files, and those are stored on an external device. I used EasyCleaner 2.0 to search for unnecessary files, deleted those and system ok. Ran the registry cleaner, deleted those files, still ok(rebooted after each step) Used START-> RUN->msconfig->ok, changed from NORMAL STARTUP to SELECTIVE STARTUP->Un-checked all those apps etc that really don't need to run in the background ->APPLY->RESTART, system still ok. START->RUN->regedit->ok...HKEY-CURRENT-USER->CONTROLPANEL->DESKTOP->double click on MENUSHOWDISPLAY(default value 400->changed to 50->CLOSE->REBOOT, system ok, All apps open with no delays or errors. This is the stage where I'd like your advice. From restart to load desktop, is around 50 secs, Then there is a period of INNACTIVITY(HD indicator off)for around the 45sec mark, Then the HD becomes active for around 1m 15secs, then stops, then all is ready to go. Is there a setting that I've missed that can be adjusted, that can shorten the 45sec period of innactivity, to get this rig running faster at bootup? All the changes above have made a dramatic difference, but would like to squeeze out a little more. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

How many applications do have running at startup?

Im sure you know this but, when booting up select your task manager and at the bottom left you will see your what is processing....er how many apps are being ran..run...what ever...lol

3. onya

onya Guest

To answer that is a little embarassing...'coz I've never paid much attention to the fact, when installing an app, it can request to be added to the start menu. Consequently, there was a bucketful happily going about their way, slowing the you know what, out of my rig. There..I've said it..LOL. The registry by all accounts, looked like a mad womans breakfast, stuff everywhere, and pointing in no particular direction. So far all is going well, sorta. To add insult to injury, I can send emails but not recieve 'em. This I'm sure is my ISP's server(i hope) I got a little greedy and careless me thinks. Just to let you know, I imported the original registry files back in... and reset the menushowdelay back to it's default value(400) but no emails comin' in.(god i hate computers...LOL)

Cheers.

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

So is everything going well?

5. onya

onya Guest

Morning geestar20, it's 10.28am here... been for a walk around...the wife and kids have gone shopping....my emails are coming in(knew it wasn't my fault LOL)my pc is ok, despite my best intentions!..and god I assume is in his heaven, what more could I ask for? So, after I apparently bungled my pc with best intentions, would the settings I described earlier, be the way you would speed up reboots in a 2/3yr old rig? Now that I know it was the ISP server fault for incoming emails, I'm as kean as mustard to go back for more punishment. Your thoughts?

Cheers.