1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI K9N4 sli-f overclock...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Halen5150, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Okay; so

after reading a few overclocking guides and getting my crap together; I only have one more question, for I can't find the answer ANYWHERE AAHH;

....How do I know that my mobo will keep the pci/pcie/hdd/etc. buses locked when I up the FSB??

Because for one; I can't find the option for a memory divider at all; and two; I can't find any option that just plain says: 'Enable Bus Locking' or something like that....

....so if anyone can shed some light on this; I'd be glad to know....

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

does it have any options for clock frequency? it might let you manualy set them in there.

can you choose to run your cpu/ram in asynk mode?

as for the mem divider, your bios will do that for you but you can control it by how you set the clocks for your cpu and ram.

you will get more educated replies in the offical overclocking thread.

3. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Well; for the pci e I know for a fact that it lets you select from a list of diff. frequencies--The only thing I'm wondering is that even if I do manually set it; I'm wondering if the frequency will still rise with the fsb---I don't think it should; but I just am double checking here to make sure I'm not going to fry my vid card/hdd/etc.lol.

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if it lets you manualy set it, it shouldnt be link to the fsb.

side note.

mine works fine upto 117mhz 1 more and i get crashes.

5. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Ahh yes; thank you for your knowledge. I appreciate the 'side note' too; thanx.

--Halen5150

6. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Hey man;

Just had to pop back in and say thanx; I've finally completed my first cpu and memory overclock! Right now my AMD 3200+ is running @ 2.4 ghz and i'm running 26C@idle; and when doing a 32m superpi test; it tops out @ about 38C! Also; I clocked up the memory w/ the proc. and have it running @ 960mhz! Now I just have to tighten my mem timings and keep on w/ the stability testing!

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

if you realy want to get some heat into your cpu try orthos and its small fft test (cpu only) its the only thing that i have used that has got mine above 40c.

out of interest, what cpu cooler are you using?

edit

http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  8. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

lol; that's the funny thing---I'm just using the stock amd cooler cuz I've heard many times that if you're not doing *major* oc's; then the amd stock cooler does just fine. So thats what I've got @ the moment. But; in the future (whever I get more money) I will upgrade to get something better so I can keep the temps constant and still acheive a good oc.

...Also; last night I once again tried stepping the fsb up to 250x10; for a clock of 2.5ghz; but it ended up not booting the O/S. So; I set it back to 240x10 for now so it's at least stable enough to post my results on AD; but think you got any ideas why I can't seem to get to 2.5??? I was thinking that it MIGHT be my ram might just be reaching it's max oc; but I doubt it cuz somebody I've seen on Newegg have their ram running stable @ 976 and another @ 1000mhz.

And; if I could; I'd just put on a mem divider; but I'm afraid there isn't one in my bios. the only thing for dealing w/ mem speeds would be a little field which lets you manually set the memory speed in mhz.

So; my question is this: If I manually set my mem speed to 800mhz (highest value the bios offers); is it going to stay at that constant speed; or will it also go up w/ the fsb?? (<-- right now I just have the mem speed set on auto--and it appears to oc by a 1:1 ratio w/ cpu) Because here's the thing: If my mem is working great @ 960 mhz; I wouldn't want to clock that down; now would I?? So what I'm currently trying to figure out is how I can have the memory and cpu to stop going in a 1:1 ratio on this board; so that way I'm still able to oc the cpu and ram @ the same time; but not end up to where I fry the memory chips.

....Hell; it may not even be my ram that's the bottle neck....

--Sorry for teh confusing questions;..lol..

--Halen5150

UPDATE:::Well; after doing some trubleshooting of my own; I found that all i needed to do was just give the ram some more voltage! I juiced it up +.05 volts from the original 2.1v; and so now I have the system running the cpu 1:1 ----cpu is running @ 2.5; and the ram is now @ 1000mhz!! Awesome!

Also; I think I might have found my cpu/ram ratio; although I'm not totally sure yet. Here's how I found it:

After getting the stable 2.5; I booted up cpu-z and went to the 'memory' tab to confirm the 1000mhz speed; when I noticed there was a little field that specifally showed this: 'CPU:RAM' ...then in the right column it showed 'my spec' for that category which is 1:5....

...so according to cpu-z; would my mem divider just be that whatever the cpu speed is; the memory runs @ 1/5 of that?? [Hope I'm correct.] Cuz it seems logical to me; because look @ my previous cpu:ram clocks:

stock speeds: 2000mhz:400 [for a ddr2 speed of 800mhz]

first OC: 2400mhz:480 [a ddr2 speed of 960mhz]

current oc: 2500mhz:500 [ddr2 of 1000mhz]

.....so ya see what I mean now??? Every time I up the fsb; you'll notice that the mem speed is always the result of dividing the cpu by 5.... ...so I'm pretty sure that's right. [lemme know if i'm wrong though....lol..]

ONE LAST THING:: As far as temps; could you please give me some insight on them?? Because since this is all on stock cooling; I don't want to be going into any sort of 'danger zone' temps;....

so just kind of give me a reference as to what is an:

-'AWESOME temp.'

-'Just okay' temp.

-A 'Your skating on thin ice, pal' kind of temp.

-..and a 'Dude; you ARE toast' temp.

THANX FOR THE HELP!!!!
    --Halen5150

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007