1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

msn and ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by mrcapdown, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

i have just installed ubuntu 6.06 im new to it never used linux before so i thought i would try it and learn it wot im trying to do is install msn could some plz help as i really dont no wot i am doing and plz in newbie terms

thanx
    linux newbie

2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

There should be a program called GAIM....Under Applications ----Internet-----GAIM ....It has ICQ AIM, and MSN messenger

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed, and/or if you want another one there's amsn. i use both personally but as tocool4u says you can use gaim; in fact i've also setup gaim to run both msn [bold]and[/bold] yahoo so i can have just gaim running both messengers from the one program

4. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Couldn't get amsn to work on ubuntu or debian.. It works fine with suse and slackware. Seems like a dependency issue. Trillian works on all, but it's buggy and has (apparently) a few big security flaws.

5. DMW

DMW Regular member

I got aMSN working on Kubuntu and simplyMepis using synaptic (not sure if it's latest version).

@Janrocks
    How are you running Trillian. using Wine? I love Trillian on my windows boot, would be great to have it on my Linux too :)

6. janrocks

janrocks Guest

I was running it in wine but I gave up on it because it took far too much ram and resources. I just use gaim now.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i found trillian too resource hungry too (and that was running it in in XP ie no wine involved); ditched it and went back to Msn Messenger (well 'til Live Messenger came along). i used Kopete for a while but thought it was a bit crap and went back to Amsn 0.95 and Gaim - they are really great programs (and seem quite lean on memory), i don't need anything else