1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Angle Movies

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by trotsky77, Oct 4, 2008.

1. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Double click on your title. Then click Del Angles.

2. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

it will take a while before i can test the final product. will i likely need to use pgcedit for all multi angle movies or will the movies with issues be fairly rare?

do people actually watch the different angles? i kind of wish multiangle movies were never invented. LOL

3. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Looks like I still need to use fixvts even after using updated dvdfab. not much more disappointing than getting that error just shy of 100%. I can't believe that issue is not completely resolved by now.

4. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I have confirmed that the upgrade to the most current version of dvdfab alone did not resolve this issue. I wanted to do that before testing out pgcedit. I am now in the process of trying pgcedit before rebuilding the movie to see if there are different results.

If this works; the answer will be to use dvdfab, then fixvts, then pgcedit, and then dvd rb before burning with imgburn. If this works, I will definitely just use this process for all multiangle movies from here on out.

5. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

After deleting the angle and closing pgcedit, it asks if i want to save and it asks other stuff too. Do I need to do anything with that stuff or am I good to go once I delete the angle?

I also realize that it makes the most sense to wait on fixVTS until after pgcedit because I need to run that after deleting the angle.

6. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

dialysis1, thank you for all of your help. Your suggestions worked! :)

7. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

That's good news.

8. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

For movies that have interleaving, should I correct this in pgcedit as well, and if so how? I haven't watched the movie through yet, but one example is Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The disc has two versions on it, theatrical and unrated. I want the unrated so I selected the longer option in DVDfab since unrated likely is longer since it is uncut. To help save time, is there something to do in pgcedit to make sure interleaving does not create any issues during playback?

9. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Just process with DVD Rebuilder. You don't need to do anything.

10. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Multi angle movie Pulp Fiction is still not working. After ripping it, I opened the movie with pgcedit and then kept only angle 1, and then ran the movie through fixvts. However, it still flashes angle 1/2 when the end of scene 1 starts and then at the end of scene 1, it backs up and repeats about 30 seconds to a minute (maybe angle 2 or maybe just repeating for some reason).

Any more ideas?

11. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

I think the issue is I did not save it before closing.

12. redux79

redux79 Regular member

I feel your pain with multiangle cells, movies like jet li's fearless and lions for lambs come to mind. It's surprising that this issue isn't mentioned more often. I just picked up forgetting sarah marshall and found that this movie has the multi-angle problem.

the longer movie title isn't the unrated version, It's about 1000 mb's of unrated material that is interleaved into the movie when the unrated version is played (rip the full disc and open with vobblanker, you'll see what I mean).

Anyways this is one of those annoying little problems that I figure out and a few months later when it rears its ugly head again I realize that I forgot how I fixed it in the first place. I have the full disc rip ready to burn and will watch it tomorrow to see if I solved the problem.

These are the steps that I used:

1. Full disc rip with dvdfab

2. (Optional) run through fixvts to make a separate file from the dvdfab rip, with pgcedit it's quit easy to ruin your original rip because it alters the existing file.

3. Open the movie in pgcedit and delete angles for both pgc's in vts 02 (the main movie). You should be prompted at this point to process the resulting file through vobblanker not fixvts. vobblanker fixes the navigational pointers.

4. Open the now altered file in vobblanker. Blank any unwanted extras or trailers and process this will take much longer than usual, about 10 to 15 minuets.

5. Open the vob file in rebuilder and process with your preferred settings.

Sorry if this is a little confusing it’s late and I'm trying to remember step by step what I did. I received no errors in vobblanker or rebuilder after doing all these steps.

Note: I recently discovered that the free version of rebuilder doesn't recalculate compression size when you uncheck audio streams or subtitles. The only program I found that worked was dvd shrink. Before processing through rebuilder open the file in shrink uncheck unwanted audio/subtitles and select no compression for the menus/movie/extras. Although this is not necessary you will have more room for the video file resulting in a higher bitrate less compression and the ultimate goal better quality.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I'm lucky enough to only have had one multi-angled disc go awry on me, and that wasn't a movie but an Alice Cooper concert. For movie discs i only ever use movie only mode in DVDFab (i always use the latest DVDFab, including Beta versions). Then i just use DVD Rebuilder, but as i say, i've been lucky enough to have never had multi angle problems. The only extra step i use is vobblanker, as we all know that DVDFab doesn't produce the cleanest of rips..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  14. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

How will my end result be different if I use fixvts instead of vobblanker?

15. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

So do I use fixvts for all discs and vobblanker in addition to it for multi angle discs? I tried only fixvts and it almost worked but the end of that scene now froze for a little while and the audio was cut off by a word or so. I will now try vobblanker and see how that works.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I think FixVTS and vobblanker are the same difference, you use one or the other to achieve the same things.
    I'm sure i posted this previously but as far as i'm concerned, multi-angle shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you rip correctly with DVDFab (or AnyDVD for that matter)..

As i say, i've only had one disc trip me up with angles and that was an Alice Cooper concert disc, and i couldn't rip it without the angles being all mixed up, no matter what, but have had no problems with any movies at all (yet!)..

17. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

In pgcedit i might have made a mistake. When closing it, it asks if i want pgcedit to fix the paths or not. I selected no because i figured fixvts would do everything that was needed. Do i select yes for pgcedit or is selecting no fine?

18. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Let PgcEdit do it's work.

19. trotsky77

trotsky77 Regular member

Hmmmm, it seems I have been doing multi-angle movies right for a while now and the issue is the player I have been using. My older Toshiba works while the new Phillips does not. So, my suggestion is for those with issues with multi-angle dvds is to test them on a variety of players.

With this being said, I would think there should be a way to make these DVDs compatible with all players. This is kind of disapointing.