1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multi film discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by moulder, May 12, 2004.

1. moulder

moulder Member

any one help me i am trying to back up my daughters disney collection and would like to know if you can put more than 1 film on a disc if so what software would i need how difficult it is (im a newbie)and how do you access the 2nd (or 3rd) film on the disc once its on there any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

2. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

The only way I can think of putting multiple DVD's onto one DVD is by using Ulead MovieFactory and importing the DVD's onto you hard drive. Once the video files are on your hard drive, you can create a new DVD and create menus as well for the video files/movies. I'm sure they have programs that do similar things and that are better than this one, but this is the only program that I have used. Not so sure if this would do what you need b/c it doesn't compress the video. You would have to use Shrink to do the compression to get the DVD files to your hard drive and then use Ulead MF to import/convert the files and then create the DVD. If you were to use this approach, you will be looking at hours of compressing/converting/creating. Hope this helps.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you Rip and Back up the DVD Manually then you can choose from different DVD Formats and these DVD Formats can allow you to get more video on a DVD..
    Useing the SIF DVD Format you can get 6 hours of Video on a Single DVD and when doing animation the quality will look Quite good.....

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there moulder, Welcome to the Club,

Here's a simple way to do what you want -

Create a file beforehand so that you’ll know where each DVD is - do that for all of the DVD’s you wish to work with.

Here is what I’ve found is the easiest if you don’t mind losing the menus (Little kids generally don’t mind stuff like that). First, rip all your DVD’s to your HD THEN open each one in DVD Shrink (Open File) - go to re-author and move the main movie only to the left-hand side of the page, strip the beginning off till you are at the opening screen and strip the credits off from the end using the start/finish function. THEN compress it to the maximum twice, that’s right twice, running “Deep Analysis” each time.

Do this to all of your DVD’s.

When you are finished, use DVD2One in the “Join” mode to hook them all together seamlessly.

Your second option is to use DVD Shrink and add the files in re-Author then shrink the whole then burn to disk.

The most you can hope for is 3 DVD-9 movies on a single disc (most Disney DVD’s arte DVD-9’s) - if you decide to do it to smaller DVD’s you can get 4 DVD-5’s on a single disc before your quality goes downhill. Expect new VHS Video quality. You will be amazed at the quality you get all things considered, them that’s tried rave -

Enjoy,

Pete

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Compressing a file twice doesn"t make a file Smaller when you are useing the same Bitrate but it sure degrades the Quality much more than is needed...

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ooohh yea of little faith - ye would be much surprised at thee quality of zee disc, everything considered -

Ye truly have to see on thee's very own TV to appreciate the results.

I believe most know my history Soooooo, I wanted to put several movies on a disc because I was to be home alone for the better part of a day and wished to watch DVD's not soap operas - I am referring to the discs I did, It defiantly wasn't what I would have imagined.

Sacrifice a disc and give it a shot - DVD Shrink to rip and compress X2 (using Deep Analysis both times, don't know if it was worth it the second time or not) then I used DVD2One to join them all up and CopyToDVD for the fry job.
    Remember - Movie only, trimmed from the opening screen till the closing shot. A max of 3 DVD-9's OR 4 DVD-5's.

"P"

BTW, Almost forgot - running it through the second time did result in additional compression, after that you might only gain a few MB's while losing a ton of pic quality. Should I do it again, I’ll probably run it through once and see if I can get it to fit - only do it the second time if really needed -

7. moulder

moulder Member

success thanks to every one for their help espescialy scubapete once again afterdawn forum solves all my probs (all i have to do now is work out how to put a menu on it so i can go direct to each film on the disc)thanks again

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

moulder, you had but to ask. (Heh, heh, But you knew that didn't you -)

The answer is DVDLab, one truly fantastic program to allow you to put custom menus wherever you wish - and some dynamite menus you can make too -

Check it out -

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/history.html

Enjoy, cause, you’re gonna love this program :p)

Pete

9. moulder

moulder Member

once again scubapete thanks for all your help.. downloaded all the required software will start to use it and see what i can do (so expect another topic in the help section very soon lol)
    once again thank you