1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-media External Hard Drive Enclosure

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by cbwoods, Nov 4, 2005.

1. cbwoods

cbwoods Guest

Has anyone heard of these things?

My boss has one called [bold]MODIX[/bold] http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20050106/ , I just bought one called [bold]MVIX[/bold] http://www.gizmosforgeeks.com/index.php/articles/1504 , and a friend just bought one called [bold]RHAPSODY[/bold] http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000027047394/ . All have different capabilities (which format can be played, etc.) and price tags. I think that all three are made in South Korea. I picked up my MVIX here in Korea for about $116. I figured this was a pretty good deal, considering the ones I found being sold at American web sites were going for $199 and up. Coupled with a 320GB drive that I bought for about $140, and I have an external drive that I can connect to a TV, projector, or stereo system, and watch all my videos and listen to all my music.

I have been trying mine out for about a week now. I'm learning new things about it every day. But it's taking me a while, because the manual I got was all in Korean. I have found an English version of the manual available for download at the MVIX USA site. Now I just have to get the drive away from the kids, who are hogging it to watch what I have put on it so far. :-o

Anyhow, check into these things, and maybe get some good discussion going about them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

the MVIX looks neat, especially running linux, but its pretty expensive for that price, w/o a hard drive. I would have gone with the MODIX. But either way, hope it works out.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

i just had 4 delivered of those today..adaptec usb 2 external ard drives..

adaptec acs-100 3.5"usb..supports 1000gb

best i ever used..i already have 3-installed..

4. hthomas

hthomas Guest

With this new MviX I actually had a reason to finally organize my computer downloads, audio, video, and all those family pictures.

Though I got all the music organized, I can't seem to keep a play list stored for future use. It seems to disappear every time the machine is turned off. Being able to store different play lists is a must - can anyone help?

Of course the best part is being able to view those downloaded video files on the living room television instead of my laptop monitor. Gives good viewing quality and it's super easy to connect. Great to be able to see those family pictures on a full size television! And you can back up all your DVD's on the hard drive.

Just be real sure to double check what you downloaded - know what I mean?