1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple digtal optical audio devices with only 1 input

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by pcgeek89, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

Ok, so I am having a little bit of trouble. I have a samsung surround sound system, not a very nice one, but it works for my needs. link here. Model # HT-Z320. It only has 1 optical input. I also recently picked up a pair of gaming headphones, the tritton ax pros. These also only have 1 optical input. So now I have 2 output devices for audio.

As for input, I use my ps3, 360, and my pc on this tv. They all have optical outputs that I use.

So having 2 output devices, with 3 input devices is a bit of a pain to have to manually switch back and forth. Almost every time I want to do something, i have to get up and reach into the entertainment center and spend 30 seconds trying to switch the cables up.

So my question here is what do you guys think I should do? I know I am looking for a splitter of some sort, but what I was thinking I needed is a 3 input digtal audio switch for the 360, ps3, and pc, and then I also need a splitter to run from the output of the switch to the inputs on the surround sound and the headphones.

Do you think that is possibly to do without really just messing up the digtal quality? Please let me know of any suggestions or any devices in specific to suggest to me. But please, I am looking for the cheaper of solutions. Don't really want to spend over $50 on this simple switch solution if possible.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. JVC

JVC Active member

3. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

yea, i have seen those, but first, is it going to effect quality? Also, I need to have the output running to two separate sources. so what would you suggest for this, a splitter?

I guess my main concern is not what I need to get, but how the quality is going to be effected when I run it through a switch and a splitter.

4. pcgeek89

pcgeek89 Member

lol guess i stumped everyone here.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

I've never had to use one, personally, but I've read at home theater forums that people who have used them said they work good. As far as outputting two sources, a splitter should work. Try it. The switch is only $6 and change. If you don't like it, you haven't lost anything. You can send it back too.........

6. french54

french54 Member

hi had the same prob needed a 3way got the toslink 3way switch changed it twice but the sound kept on breaking up.I was told to get amp but my rear speakers are wireless so at mo still trying to find a way.

7. ninacook

ninacook Member

Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic
    hookup flexibility for your digital components with this versatile, high quality Digital Optical Selector Switch. This 3-Way Digital Optical Selector Switch lets you connect up to three different optical digital components to a component with only one optical digital input. The selector allows you to switch from one component to another just by turning the selector dial - no more disconnecting and connecting cables or moving equipment around. You can play any of the three components you connect and enjoy the output through your home theater system. There are four optical digital jacks. The output jack connects to the main unit to which you would like to expand the number of optical jacks (normally a digital audio/video receiver/amplifier).