1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple movies on 1 DVD?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by assasin88, Jul 3, 2006.

1. assasin88

assasin88 Member

Hey, didn't know where else to post this, so here it is. I have like 8 movies on my PC and they are 700mb files, I was wondering if there was a way that I can put say 3 movies on 1 DVD but have them split up with a menu. With the new Nero 7 you can create a menu, but first off i would like to know if anyone knows how i can get the 3 or so movies onto the DVD and split them up into a menu. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. byngo

byngo Regular member

I'm not fully conversant with Nero but if you can author all the titles in Nero and add a menu then each movie needs to be given a title rather than all titles being together & called title 1 with lots of chapters.

Also, in DVD shrink you can easily drag accross multiple titles to re-author to fit on one disc but you can't add a menu with that software but you will be able to select each title on the disc with your DVD player remote anyway. (i.e you don't have to have a menu to navigate the disc contents on a dvd player)
    Sorry cant advise further.

3. assasin88

assasin88 Member

Thanks for the reply, i will have a look at it. The thing is, my mate put a 700mb movie on a dvd and it converted it to another format, mpeg4 if im not mistaken, as thats what format DVD's are and read. I dont want to make the file any bigger, I'd like to keep them as 700mb files. So if i re-author with DVD-shrink, I have that program, then it may work...hmm. Thanks again..hope for some more posts to. Cheers.

4. assasin88

assasin88 Member

Ok, I just opened up DVD-shrink and went to re-author. The files I have are Mpeg-Layer 3 by the way. So i was in re-author and browsed for the files i wanted to add, but they dont show up as appropriate files for shrink to recognise, i cant drag and drop them. There would have to be someway to do this sort of thing.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

DVD Shrink requires authored MPEG-2 as input. Easiest way to have multiple XviD/mp3 avi's on a DVD is to burn them as is. If you want DVD video though, then basically you need to encode each of the three to ~1/3 of a DVD as MPEG-2/AC3, author and then burn.

6. assasin88

assasin88 Member

"If you want DVD video though, then basically you need to encode each of the three to ~1/3 of a DVD as MPEG-2/AC3, author and then burn."

How do you suppose i do that, what program?

7. byngo

byngo Regular member

The solution above is correct but for your problem it brings you back to square one.
    I.E if you want them to be DVD player compatible they need to be re-encoded to mpeg format and I pressume at the moment your 700mb files are avi files.
    If thats what you want you can do a search on AVI to DVD. I think TMPGEnc DVD Author does that job well.

8. assasin88

assasin88 Member

Well actually, there all mpeg-layer 3. So, yeah?

9. jeph2k3

jeph2k3 Guest

Try DVDSanta. I don't know about the menus but you can convert multiple movies to fit onto 1 dvd disc. Not very likely that you'll be able to keep them at 700MB after conversion though. Check it out, it's a fairly easy program to work with.

10. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

If you are using .AVI/DIVX/XVID files then they are compressed.. I guess you knew that, but when you use a DVD Authoring (except for DVD Shrink because it compresses it again) program then it converts it to a DVD format - ~3 times larger in my case. IE. 3 TV Episodes can only fit on a disk - they are ~300-400MB. Likely so you will only be able to fit maybe 2 of them on there if you use DVD Shrink. If you try and fit 3 you would probably need a Dual-Layer disk (expensive IMHO and not worth it) or reduce quality by a few notches.

Just trying to help..

11. assasin88

assasin88 Member

thanks. Well what re-authoring software can i use. I havent tried dvdsanta yet. I plan to. Well i dont mind if i can justy get 2 movie on the one DVD, that would be fine.....i just cant work out how to.

12. lilazn7

lilazn7 Member

Personally my software came from my camera so..
    I would just search for a DVD Creating software of some sort which can create menu's or someone similar to what you want.
    What I would reccomend is a DivX/DVD Player which you can grab from any electronic store (ie.. probly not EB but maybe strathfield or harvey norman) They can play AVI's and you don't have to make them a DVD-Video, just burn them as a data-disc and then you can play them. If you want to be stingy (I was at one point) you can just convert them from AVI to DVD (as I presume you have AVI/Divx/xvid) but you would only be able to fit 1 movie on at a time unless you joined them together which I don't think you wanted to do.
    Either get menu software for around the same price as a divx player (mine was $89 from strathfield [OMNI DX-4300] which I would reccomend) which will let you play more movies per disc than a movie authoring software.

Hope this helpz ya

13. assasin88

assasin88 Member

Thanks mate, i will look into it all. I have just been fiddling with things and yeah, am sorta getting somewhere...used tmpg to convert the file to vcd and stuff and then put it on a cd, worked except...there was no sound and i had it set to copy the sound and video. Anyhow...put the cd in me DVD, it played...but it ran fast for some reason, like it was on 2x speed...no idea....anyhow, will keep trying.