1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multiple problems splitting avi files

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by alngthewa, Sep 26, 2004.

1. alngthewa

alngthewa Member

hi, i've spent a lot of time searching this forum trying to find answers, and i haven't found anything that works so i'm sorry if this has already been answered. i've been trying to split large avi files into two smaller files so that I can burn them onto CDs (as data files) and not take up hard drive space. i have been havig consistent problems either with audio sync, file size, or both depending on the file. i've tried using virtualdub, avisplitter, and some other programs as well. I followed the guide for using virtual dub but that hasnt helped me. With one of my files, when I open it, I get this message:
    VIRTUAL DUB HAS DECTECTED AN IMPROPER VBR AUDIO ENCODING IN THE SOURCE AVI FILE AND WILL REWRITE THE AUDIOHEADER WITH STANDARD CBR VALUES DURING PROCESSING FOR BETTER COMPATIBILITY. THIS MAY INTRODUCE UP TO 35292 MS OF SKEW FROM THE VIDEO STREAM. IF THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, DECOMPRESS THE ENTIRE STREAM TO AN UNCOMPRESSED WAV FILE AND RECOMPRESS WITH A CONSTANT BITRATE ENCODER. (BITRATE:127.7 +- 15.9 KBPS)

I'll be honest, that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Anyway, so when I try to split that file (I started with a very small portion to test it), using keyframes, the audio sync is off. When I test virtual dub on a smaller AVI file I have (60mb), and create a 15 second clip, the audio is fine but the new file is over 300mb in size.

So any help would be appreciated. I have movies that are between 1.2-1.4 gb in size, and just need to create two files of 700mb or less (and i guess if for some reason that isn't feasible, I don't want to have to split the movie into any more than three CDs). Sorry for the long-winded first post, thanks for any help you can offer.

2. alngthewa

alngthewa Member

bueller? bueller?

is this a stupid question? has it been discussed ad nauseum, or do i smell? someone help if you could, i'd rather not have these huge movie files on my computer if i could avoid it.

thanks!

3. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

The audio sync problem is a known error in VDub. If you simply want to split the file down try AVI-Splitter (Boilsoft) its very simple and very fast.

4. alngthewa

alngthewa Member

thanks for the response. i think i tried avi splitter before and while i had no issues with audio sync that i can remember, i did have the issue with the output file size (of half the movie) being larger than the original file. are there certain codecs you can use for splitting that work better, or do i just need to play around with this?

5. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Are you sure it was AviSplitter from Boilsoft! When ive used it in the past it never increased the file size from the original. Check it out http://www.boilsoft.com/videosplitter/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Windows XP Pro SP-1 / Barton XP2500+ @3200GHz
    Twinmos DDR400 @430MHz / Abit NF7-S v2.0
    Western Digital 120Gb Sata[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  6. alngthewa

alngthewa Member

thanks a lot for the link, ill give it a shot!