1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple SVCD in one DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by ari_, Oct 7, 2003.

1. ari_

ari_ Member

People,
    Trying to get most out from my new DVD burner. Any idea if it is somehow possible to either use menus or such to add multiple SVCD or VCD sequences to a single DVD or simply burn multiple 70min sequences to one DVD in a row?

I was also wondering about if you can even use SVCD in DVD?

2. gkrshnn

gkrshnn Member

Often, people think of a DVD as a medium of storage and conclude that any format/specification can be stored on it. You can burn anything you want on a DVD as “data.” Remember though that what ever is stored on a DVD disc must be playable on a DVD player.

When you put a DVD in the burner, the program looks for a DVD-compatible file to burn. I don’t remember the actual specs, but the audio and video bit rates are higher for the DVD than SVCD.

So, you can’t take an SVCD-compatible MPEG2 file and burn it on a DVD. You have re-encode it to meet the DVD standards.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Well, SVCD on DVD wouldnt be a good option because the resolutions 480x480(576) are NOT complaint with DVD standards. DVD is generally MPEG-2 but you can look at VCD as being complaint because VCD resolutions are - 352x240(288) and that is completely compliant :) You can read a guide for VCD on DVD - http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/vcd_to_dvd-r.cfm

As for the birates, I dont think they would cause too much of a problem unless of course they went too high, which is possible!