1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple SVCD movies on to one DVDR disc guide

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by scorch269, Nov 10, 2004.

1. scorch269

scorch269 Guest

I'm wondering that if I do put multiple SVCDs on one DVDR or DVD-RW, can I later extract any of the movies straight to a DVDR, and will be in proper format, etc.? thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

scorch269, welcome to aD,

Although this wasn't asked as a question, I took it as one -

a guide for going FROM VCD to DVD
    (by Minion)

If the files aren't encoded then you should Use Mpeg2 instead of Mpeg1 because it is a better format and maybe "Bump" the bitrate up to about 1500kbs. This will increase the Quality quite a Bit and still allow you to get 6 hours on a DVD if you use a audio bitrate of 192kbs....

This DVD Format is Called SIF or CIF format and not every DVD authoring program will support this DVD format especially Cheapo DVD authoring programs. Both DVD Lab and TMPGEnc DVD Author will support this DVD format accept with DVDLab you have to use Mpeg2....

You can just encode your files to VCD but use 48000HZ Audio and then author them to a DVD with no problems. That way you could fit 6+ hours of VCD quality Video on a DVD....

When you encode a low resolution VCD file to full resolution DVD Format you loose a lot of quality because you are resizing a small resolution to a large resolution which is were you loose all of the quality, but there is no need to re-encode VCD's to DVD because VCD's are already DVD compliant accept for the audio which needs to be 48000hz to be on a DVD......

a Note about settings in the GOP Structure settings:

Set the "Output Interval for Sequence Header" to "1" and this will Put 1 sequence header before every GOP...
    You actually get Better quality when using a smaller GOP but it can cause a slightly bigger file size...
    This is the GOP I use:

Number of I Pictures in GOP: 1
    Number of P Pictures in GOP: 4
    Number of B Picture ins GOP: 2
    Number of Frames in GOP: 15

Best of luck,

I'll bet if you would have thought this out, you wouldn't have posted it :)

The files you put on the disc won't magically transcode or "Morph" into anything as they sit there on the disc, when you take them off, they'll be the same files as the ones you placed on there, Heh, heh, but then again, you knew that - I'll bet you were just testing me, Huh ?

Cheers,

Pete

3. scorch269

scorch269 Guest

Well, i havent done it yet, though i've encoded SVCD to DVD, but just once so far, and i've got 30 or 40 more to do. I'm hurting for HD space, and thought that this process is taking me half way to DVD as it is, so if i put the multi-SVCDs to DVD-RW then pull them off as needed, they would be in mpeg-2, milti cd movies joined, then encode as time permits, while doing something else. And of course still d\l more stuff. Also would like to compress and store games if possible, probably got a hundred of those or so.
    And i couldnt figure out how putting muti SVCDs on DVD could leave them in DVD format, but never read anything actually SAY that. And how come DVD makes sure its is filled when usinng DVD format, wether converting 1 cd or two or three joined cds? thx

SYSTEM SPECS
    =====================================================================
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-7VAXP K7 TRITON KT400 BIOS Ver. F13
    CPU : AMD XP 2600+ OC'd to 2.2GHz
    RAM: 1GB; CORSAIR 512MB x 2 MATCHED PC2700 DDR 333MHz
    CASE: ANTEC SX1040BII W/ ANTEC 400 WATT POWER SUPPLY
    INTERNET: 1.5MBps DSL HIGHSPEED BROADBAND_ ACTIONTEC WIRELESS GATEWAY MODEM
    HDD 0: WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB WD1200JD Serial-ATA (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
    HDD 1: WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB WD1200JD Serial-ATA (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
    HDD 2: WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB WD1200JD Serial-ATA (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)
    HDD 3: SEAGATE ST360021A 60GB
    DVD+-RW/: PIONEER DVR-107D 8X DVD+R/DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW/DVD-RW, 24X CD-R
    CD-RW: SONY CRX220E1 52x-24x-52x
    CD-ROM: E-IDE CR-852E 52x
    VIDEO: nVIDIA GeForce FX5200,128bit,256MB,400MHzDDR,DVI/TV-Out,8XAGP,A-FX20
    SURROUND SOUND: SOUND BLASTER WITH BASS WOOFER SYSTEM
    =======================================================================