1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multisession dvd-r not read by xp or Server2003. Plz help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by XORsist, Sep 21, 2004.

1. XORsist

XORsist Member

Firstly, I'm new & would like to say hello to all the members here :) Secondly, I did search & read the guides/faq. However most topics seem to deal with copying movies or CD's, not plain old data backup problems.

I am using Windows Enterprise Server 2003 w/all critical updates, & burning with Nero 6 Ultra (6.3.1.25) onto a Toshiba SD-R5272. I backed up the server to 8 DVD-R discs, then formatted & reinstalled the (same) OS. Of all the backed up DVD-R's, only 1 was closed. The others were left open because many had only small amounts of data written to them with the intention of adding data in the future. Each disc [bold]was verfied[/bold] with Nero after the burning process. I did not use InCD (not installed) or the Nero ImageDrive feature (service was disabled by default). All seemed good....

Upon reinstalling Server2003, the single closed disc is the only disc that Windows can read. The 7 others cannot be read from Windows Explorer ("data may be corrupted" error). I do recall seeing the Nero warning prompt "..Operating Systems older than XP may have problems being able to read multisession discs..." However I'm using the exact same OS!

Although I hadn't planned to, I did reinstall Nero & within the Nero Burning Rom Window can see my files. [bold]I desperately need acces to these files[/bold].

So, my questions are:

1. What did I do wrong? Do I have to close these discs for them to be readable in Windows? If so, why is this?

2. What's the point of having 4 1/2 GB to write to if I have to close the frigging disc each time I use it?

3. Am I confusing closing the session with closing the disc?

2. janet46

janet46 Member

Hi,
    I had this same problem a long time ago with cd-r's, and last week I burnt all my ebooks onto 2 dvd-r's the first one was Ok, and can be read, but the second can't, I'm assuming to access the data, that the disc will now have to be closed, I'm having the same problem because last week my PC spat the dummy, I've had to buy some new parts, and have only just discovered that the 2nd disc cannot be read, and the original files went with the system failure.
    I'm willing to tell the disc to close but how do I accomplish it, when Nero looks at the disc and only sees a blank disc...InCd wants to format it. If you get any answer to your query, I'd love to hear what the experts suggest.

3. janet46

janet46 Member

PM sent to you :
    CD / DVD Diagnostic 2.1.3
    Release-Date: 2004-08-11
    Program Typ : Recovery
    URL : http://www.infinadyne.com/
    Release-Notes:
    ==============
    Analyzed and purchased by corporations, institutions, and government agencies around the world. Check our client roster,
    and youÆll see respected companies and institutions that chose CD/DVD Diagnostic to recover their valuable data.
    They didnÆt take a chance on an expensive recovery service, or an unknown software company with an ineffective product
    and support.
    The #1 data recovery software! Recovers lost data, photos, files, music and more from CDs and DVDs. Now supports DVD
    recorder discs! More tools, more features and more capable than the competition.
    Features:
    -Finds the files, bypasses problems, gets your data back. Unlike other products that search for pictures,
    CD/DVD Diagnostic understands how the disc was written and bypasses the problems, recovering ALL your files
    NO MATTER WHAT they are.
    -Supports discs written by: Roxio Easy CD Creator, Ahead Nero, DirectCD, InCD, DLA, RecordNow, DiscMaker,
    Sony Mavica Cameras.
    -Supports all PC and Macintosh CD and DVD discs.
    -Supports DVD media recovery.
    More Features:
    -Recovers Video from DVD Video Recorder Discs
    -Sector examination at a low level.
    -Disc Memory and Checkpoint.
    -Intensive UDF File Examination.
    -Expanded Retry Capabilities.
    -Readability test.
    -CD Text, ISRC and RID Audio Disc Display.