1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

multisession dvds using nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sheryl, Jan 28, 2004.

1. sheryl

sheryl Member

I'm trying to make a multisession DVD on a DVD-RW disk using Nero 6.0, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. When I go to burn a second session, it erases the first. Is it possible to add to an existing DVD-RW?

2. Tardus

Tardus Member

I'll take a guess that you're using Nero Express. As far as I know you can only continue a multi-session RW with the Full Nero App.

3. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

What are you using to start your disc? And also what type are you making the disc?(UDF, ISO, or something else that probably isn't supported)

You can start the disc with Nero Burning Rom not Express(atleast I can't find how to on Express with Ultra Edition).

Heres one way:
    Start Nero(full not Express) and then under media type select "DVD".
    Then below that select "DVD (UDF)".
    The "Multisession" tab should already be selected, from there select "Start Multisession Disc".
    If you want to creat a name for it, go to "Label" and type a name in the box.
    Then push the "New" button over to the right.
    Put whatever data on the RW and click burn.
    Formatting.........................Burning........DONE
    After that you should just be able to drag-and-drop, cut/past, copy/past data onto the disc from there (never having to access Nero again, unless for other reasons).
    Viola...You have a DVD RW. (you should anyways)

Or you can just use Roxio's Drag-to-Disc, which does everything for you, but the access time for that is pretty slow. But it cuts these instructions down to basically nothing. Because once you format the disc, you can drag-and-drop everything. So I guess it makes its simpilier.

Hope that helps somewhat
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz
    1.2 GB 2700
    120Gb HDD
    Windows XP Pro
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb
    Plextor PX-708A 8x+R/4x-R/4x+RW/2x-RW
    DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink burned with Nero 6 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  4. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Ok. I'm dumb. You can either do it the way up there. Or you can go easy and just d/l Nero InCd.(don't worry people its not piracy, its free to d/l at Nero's site if you already own Nero,which he says he does.) InCd is Neros software for managing RW's. I've heard it causes some trouble with some burners though. I heard it can give you the blue screen of death with an error of "UDF_FILE_ER" or something like that can't remember, and the only way around that was to boot in safe mode. So read up on it before you try it.

5. sheryl

sheryl Member

I'm using Nero Burning Rom version 6.0 and I tried selecting the mutisession option but didn't have any luck. I see you have the same burner as me, Plextor 708a. I didn't install the burning software which came with Plextor since I already had Nero on my computer but maybe I should install their software since it comes with Roxio and I use to have good luck with that program when I burned CDs. Would it work the same way for a DVD?
    I'm really not familiar with Nero so that could be one of my problems.
    Do you like Roxio?

6. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

Sorry about not having any luck. So you have the same burner, well I love mine, its quick.

I didn't install any of Plextors software except one thing, I put Nero Ultra on instead. The one thing I put on was the Drag-to-Disc by Roxio. Only because, like I said before, I've heard bad things about Nero's InCd.

**One of the first things I did when I installed the burner was update the firmware. Which I think the current version is 1.04**
    http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_downloads.html

Yes, Roxio and Nero will basically work the same for DVDs. The Drag-to-Disc even works for CD-RW's too.

Ehh, Roxio is alright. I prefer Nero. The only Roxio thing I like is the Drag-to-Disc. Personal choice matters though. Nero can sorta be complicated so you might want to stick to Roxio if your use to it.

Tell me how it goes if ya want to.

7. sheryl

sheryl Member

Thanks for the tips.
    I didn't update my firmware because it seemed as if things were working ok and I was afraid I might mess things up. I just bought a new computer and opted for a DVD burner, only this is the third burner the computer company has installed. The first two died after burning 2 disks.
    The first 2 burners were Sony's and when I didn't have any luck with them, I was given the choice of a Plextor or Lite-on.After some research, I decided to go with the Plextor and I will say I've been happy with it. I just wish I could figure out how to do this multisession thing.

I was hoping to make DVDs of all my home video tapes but since it's so time consuming, I thought I could burn some footage to a DVD-RW and after I burned all the footage that would fit on a disk, I'd copy it to a DVD-R disk and save it.
    I did notice however, that I could burn my Video_Ts files on a CD so maybe I could save everything that way, then use my CD to burn the video on a DVD-R.
    Have you ever tried this?

8. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

I have never tried burning to cd then to dvd. sounds interesting to try, so I might do it sometime.

Anyways when you burn to cd your prob making a VCD or SVCD, which is readable on newer home dvd players.

I would suggest trying that Drag-to-Disc by Roxio before you use all your time burning to cd. plus about 3.5 cds fit on a dvd, so your gonna be having alot of cds around.

Once you figure out what your gonna do, let me know how it goes.

Edit:
    This is short because I gotta leave now.

levi
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz
    1.2 GB 2700
    120Gb HDD
    Windows XP Pro
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb
    Plextor PX-708A 8x+R/4x-R/4x+RW/2x-RW
    DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink burned with Nero 6 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  9. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Inorder to use dvd-rw as packet writing media you need one of several proggies.....i.e. Nero Incd, Roxio Ecdc, or Sonic RecordNow Deluxe. There could be more out there but these are the most popular.

cheezzzz