1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multitasking while ripping

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DocBrass, Apr 23, 2004.

1. DocBrass

DocBrass Guest

Would doing other things, surfing, email, photoshop, while Decrypter is ripping to the HD have an affect on quality or stability of the ripped files? I read somewhere that you should leave it be and let it do it's thing, it's just that that's nearly an hour that I have to be away from my machine.

The same thing goes for DVD2One when it's compressing the files.

Thanks in advance.

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya docbrass.....welcome to the family.

i think the rule of thumb on this you may be ok to use your pc while the ripping process is going on (though depending on your spec your machine may run like a pig) but once you get to the burning stage then i'm afraid it's cup of coffe time and leave the little sweetheart in peace.

viper

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

I actually turn every app, that is running in the backround, off prior to ripping or burning. I have experienced a few bad rips, IE juddery image on ripped file output, when accessing other apps during the ripping process. I re-ripped the same DVD & the output file was fine. My pc is a few years old Athlon 1.3Ghz 768M ram.

My advice is try it & check the results for yourself.

Am i right that you say it takes an hour to rip a DVD on your system?. That sounds excessive to me. Have you checked, under device manager, that your drive/s are operating in "DMA" mode & not "PIO"?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there DocBrass,

Perhaps I should ask you a question -

Would you have any objection in having your “significant other” talking on the phone and watching the TV while you’re in the middle of lovemaking ?

If you don’t mind the quality go right ahead - while remembering that encoding and burning are the 2 hardest jobs your PC has to do -

You be the judge -

Pete

5. DocBrass

DocBrass Guest

Thanks for the replies fellas.

My machine:
    P4 1.4
    768RAM
    80G WD HD
    Sony -RW/+RW 4X
    GeForce FX 5700ultra

RE Brian: Yeah, it takes Decrypter around 45 minutes depending on the disc. Then DVD2One takes about 8-10 mins. and nero around 10.

RE Pete: LOL...exactly, it's not really preffered! I've been allowing it to rip, decode and sometimes burn without doing anything else on the computer, as like I said, I had read that was the best thing. I've had great results so far, but thought I'd ask for other opinions.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

DVD Shrink has a "low priority" mode thats supposed to let you do work while ripping.

I would be careful with Photoshop or other memory intensive apps.

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

DocBrass

There is nothing wrong at all with those times, don't worry it's very normal.It's Faster than my setup !!