1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music files

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by macuserct, May 3, 2007.

1. macuserct

macuserct Member

I have just bought a new macbook and made the switch over from a PC. I have itunes with thousands of songs on my old PC and i would like to get these songs onto my new mac. Is there any way that this can be done?

Also i am looking for a P2P program to download music on my mac, any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. Karma50

Karma50 Member

First, you actually have to move the files. If you don't know where they are, check in the preferences in iTunes. Then you can either move these onto an external hard drive. Or burn them onto some CDs or DVDs (as data files not as a music CD). Or connect the two computers over a network.

Once you copy them onto the mac (just put them in a folder on the desktop. You open iTunes and first open the Preferences menu and go to the advanced tab and click the "copy to the iTunes Music folder when adding to library". Then go to the "Add to Library" command in the File menu and select the folder you put on the desktop.

Once the files copy into iTunes you can delete the folder on the desktop. The originals are in your iTunes folder.

P2P is old news. Your IP address is left exposed and it is not near as fast as BitTorrenting, nor as reliable to result in a file that is as described. That said if you really want to continue doing P2P, LimeWire is the bet solution for the Mac. But you should really look into Torrents. Good torrent software for the Mac is Azureus (a full featured, yet complicated BitTorrent client) or Transmission (a simpler client).

3. macuserct

macuserct Member

thanks for the help karma