1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

music when burned to cd turns to static?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jarrell, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jarrell

jarrell Member

I don't understand it. I used to burn music all the time then one day last week i made a cd and it was static. The music is good before it goes on the cd. then when it goes on the cd it plays as static?
    Can anyone tell me why this happens?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what format is the music and what are you burning with

3. jarrell

jarrell Member

well the format is in mp3 and then i tried to convert it into wma format and then burned and one cd worked then the rest just turned right back into static.
    also i'm using winamp, nero, and sonic recordnow. to burn the discs.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

as a suggestion, don't convert a lossy format to another lossy format. converting mp3s to wma files is going to result in a serious loss of quality. as a test, try converting the mp3s to an uncompressed format, like wav, using something like dBPowerAMP or EAC. Then try burning the wav in nero.

5. jarrell

jarrell Member

but what do wav files play in because that file format seems awfully familiar?

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

wav files are windows uncompressed audio, just as aiff files are macs uncompressed audio format. all players I know of should play wavs, so using winamp to play them should be no problem. but they are impractical for storing a large amount of them, because they are rather large since they're uncompressed. I was just suggesting to try it to see if you're having a problem with your mp3s, nero, or your burner.

7. jarrell

jarrell Member

ok well i made a disc containing those wav files andwhen i put it in my walkman it said there was no disc. Like it couldn't read the disc or something.
    also is there a specific burner i should b using to burn these music files?

8. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Hello, .wav files dont play in cd players. You have to use nero or something similar (i think you can even do it in windows media player now) to convert the .wav files to a cd in audio cd format. Sometimes discs are just plain bad, but if this is a common occurance and the cd is in cd audio format investagate the integrity of your burner, it may have gone bad :( , also where were the music files obtained from? this sometimes plays a role in how they burn for example something with drm protection may not allow burning and dvd audio discs create an audio "watermark" that converts as static. Hope some of this helped.

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I have a feeling you are using bad media or your burner is going bad, because even if you burned the disc as a data disc, with wav files, instead of an audio CD, most audio CD players just see the data CD as one long track and you hear garble.

10. jarrell

jarrell Member

well i've been using TDK for awhile and haven't been having any problems but i converted them to .wav and are now burning with nero i will post back when completed.

11. jarrell

jarrell Member

well i think converting those files really helped because i don't have anymore static.
    I appreciate all the help guys.