1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mutv?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by barry84, Mar 9, 2009.

1. ciskz

ciskz Guest

It UPC about a month before they changed the keyroll method, and that would be done by nagravison coders and sent onto the CC`s.

Which was useless as it had already been fixed in the uk, making you think that they went working together at all.

I am sure Virgin will be keeping a close look on what happens, but UPC are a large European CC and ISP, im sure they b ringing Ireland up to the standard they have across Europe.

2. linny40

linny40 Regular member

totally agree with ya on that one!
    ciskz: i must have been talking to the wrong peeps then coz thats how i understand things
    Try the smaller area 1st if they dont succeed no point in bothering with a total waste of money for the UK market if they haveto make new products its willcost a lot more, if they have to re train engineers it will cost more, if they have to send engineers out to EVERY PAYING customer it will cost more, so may not actually be affective.

At the moment its trial and error and cheaper to spend a few pennies in a smaller area 1st. that try the UK market and fail.
    as said sit back and wait to see what transpires. All this speculation gets ya no where other than wound up lol!

3. barm

barm Regular member

I think the point ferg is trying to get aross is that the Irish and UK providers have discussed this problem and how to tackle it.They have to be working together on this one.

As for a fix on N3 I think the powers that be have a battle on their hands and the box manufacturers will hold back until there is a definite fix.Then they will release a new box and make a fortune on us!!

4. foxyboy

foxyboy Regular member

is there a new digital provider due in ireland soon, will they be competition for upc causing price war, as upc prices were the reason i looked elsewhere in the first place,

5. ciskz

ciskz Guest

Boxer DTT are ment to be launching there DTT service, which was ment to be launched by Feb 09 but now looks like late 09.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_TV_Ireland]

It plans to have the national channels FTA.
    Free to Air Channels on Boxer:

* RTÉ One
    * RTÉ Two
    * TV3 Ireland
    * TG4
    * 3e
    * RTE Three

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
  6. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. linny40

linny40 Regular member

so nothing exciting going on there then as you can buy set top boxes to get FTA channels for less than £10 GBP here and now adays ALL new TVs are digital and have FTA channels- well certainly in the UK anyways.

What channel is RTE is it an irish channel or some foreign one

Boxer DTT are ment to be launching there DTT service, which was ment to be launched by Feb 09 but now looks like late 09.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_TV_Ireland]

It plans to have the national channels FTA.
    Free to Air Channels on Boxer:

* RTÉ One
    * RTÉ Two
    * TV3 Ireland
    * TG4
    * 3e
    * RTE Three

8. axxxo

axxxo Regular member

irish channel linny,aint no such thing as free to air in ireland as we all gotta pay a hefty tv license for crap!!! :)

9. linny40

linny40 Regular member

oh rite! we pay like £100 GBP i think for a tv licence - pay ours monthly so have no idea ( and yes its all for crap lol) but get free to air channels like The ITV ones and BBc ones - ok i know technically you pay for a licence, but for that you get the bog standard BBC 1 2 ITV3 channel 4 and Channel 5 and then there are certain other channels you get for free - sorry cant remember off the top of my head, you either buy a set top box which are real cheap now ( due to tvs nit being digital) or get a new digital tv with these channels already included and as long as your ariel can pick them up they are free.
    So what are the standard tv channels that you get in Ireland and how much do you pay for a tv licence over there.? out of interest.

10. lenny123

lenny123 Regular member

RTÉ One --- our national channel
    RTÉ Two --- 2nd national channel
    TV3 Ireland - crap,..almost a re-run of ITV, like DAVE with news 3/4 times a day
    TG4 --- Irish language channel
    3e --- like TV3 more crap
    The rest are bacically what you get in the UK.
    Our TV license costs €160 = £150stg but has noting to do with the channels we get, it covers the use of a "telegraphical device used for the reception of television broadcasts",...sneeky bastrads over here worded it that way because back in the 50's we could only watch ITV,BBC in Ireland,..no Irish channels at the time that they could charge a license fee for so they pinned the fee on owning a TV.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  11. linny40

linny40 Regular member

wow what a rip off, so everyone that owns a tv has to pay that what ever - go no wonder you are all on here and own boxes etc !

Our licence pays for the broadcasting- or summit like that not sure jsut pay it coz if you dont well they Will come and fine you so and had one for more years than i an remember, its just one of those DD's you have no choice to pay and cant argue- well not until your over 80 and ya get it free lol and by then at 80 yrs old who cares whats on the box lol!

12. Mooley

Mooley Regular member

On a normal tv aerial here in Ireland the only channels mostly received are RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, BBC1, BBC2, UTV, Channel4. All the ones in red usually have a crap picture so it'll be first time we'll be able to receive free digital tv through normal crap aerial.

13. linny40

linny40 Regular member

yes that i can udnerstand -which is why here people get cable or satalite due to bad signal areas. having cable weve never needed a tv areial on the roof, plus freeview tvs work well thro the cable so even without any box we have tvs with freeview and still get a good picture. my family have satalite due to their area being to near the railway and low down they cant get a signal at Crystal Palace ( main ITV station area for signalmast) bbc can be ok even with a booster arieal, so basically they have no choice if they want to watch any tv. But thats not down to anyone the area so cant really blame the BBC lol!

14. dubdave

dubdave Member

thats it boys and girls all the sky sports channells are gone now to so no more free sports. So thats it back to being alcoholics again :-( we can only pray for a fix but it aint looking like a quick one

15. linny40

linny40 Regular member

ah give it a few weeks for the guys to get it all sorted hopefully youll soon be back up and running.

16. barm

barm Regular member

Maybe N*L will enable all the missing channels and tell us its just a big April Fool!!!

17. linny40

linny40 Regular member

yh rite 2 hopes of that BOB and NONE lol!

made me chukkle tho! :)