1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mxq can't change security settings to install kodi

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by 154:79:36, Dec 27, 2015.

1. 154:79:36

154:79:36 Newbie

Hi all,
    I have an mxq Android TV box. (Mbox)I have kodi rc1 which has issues and I want to install the latest version.
    I have tried
    Uninstalling the current version via the play store ( play store won't uninstall as it did not install it)
    Downloading the .apk and installing that using the all installer I get the message " install blocked for security your phone is set to block installation of apps from unknown sources" I can go from there to settings/other/more settings/personal/ security to tick the allow unknown sources option. When security is selected the interface returns to the other option.

Any insight would be welcomed.
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

2. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Jim if you want to unistall the version of kodi that you have on your mxq box go to piopats tut on newbies guide to andriod boxes , on page two , half way down the page you read were he explains how to uninstall , you do not unistall via the play store ?
    To get new stable version google kodi downloads , but be sure to read his tut first .
    Cheers
    Paulie57. ........

3. 154:79:36

"to uninstall the current version go your main android app screen , you should see an app that says SETTINGS MBOX , open that . alternatively press the SETUP button on your remote , its near the left top corner on my remote .

now you will see options NETWORK / DISPLAY/ ADVANCED / OTHER , use your right button and go to other , now use your down button and go to MORE SETTINGS .and press ok button to open it .

now use your downbutton to go down to APPS and press ok button . on the right of screen all your apps should appear .now press the right button and then press the down button and go to and highlight xbmc . now press ok button .

now move your left/right or up/down buttons untill you have UNINSTALL highlighted in blue , and press ok to uninstall . when uninstall is complete install the new version . "
    I got the above thanks for the reply. The problem with my box is that when I go through the procedure above Kodi is not uninstalled
    it just flashes back to the menu above but does not uninstall the app. Its a strange one. The kodi app is still showing on the box's list of available apps even though I have asked for it to be uninstalled. I am assuming that like most computers, Windows Linux etc. uninstall means exactly that not delete the shortcut and retain the app in case I change my mind?

4. 154:79:36

I also read about tvmc android app in piopats tutorial and thought about installing that but I cant, side load? apps as I can not get access to the security menu the box just flickers when I try to select the menu item and the screen returns at 'other' one menu level up! I think I may have purchased a box with dodgy firmware....I cant think why the firmware writers would stop the user installing apps form other sources than Google?

5. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Yes when you select unistall should automatically do so , I have deleted kodi using that tut and after rebooting the box it's deleted ,
    Paulie57. ......

6. 154:79:36

Thanks for the assistance Paulie,
    I rebooted the box today and Kodi was still showing on the main menu. I went to the Google Play store and typed in Kodi and it recognised that Kodi was installed. I hit uninstall and got a message stating that it was not installed via the play store and did I still want to uninstall. I hit yes and the box then immediately crashed / rebooted. I returned to the play store and Kodi was still recognised as being installed. I think I may have a trainees attempt at firmware as attempting the same process with the face book app has the same results i.e. it will not uninstall! I have a version of OSMC running on a RasPi2 and it is great. I got this box for my mother in law as it would give her a few things I don't use but it has been a poor experience so far.
    At the very least any android box should be able to install and uninstall any app from the play store?

7. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

does your box read apk's of usb stick/sd card?

8. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

9. 154:79:36

It will read .apks but crashes when I try to change the security settings to ok untrusted sources....I will try this tomorrow.There must be a way...

10. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

I think tongs idea is the way to go , their must be a way of getting the app of the usb , did a bit of checking around to see has anyone with boxes come across the same problem and never heard of it ...

Paulie57. ..........

11. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

id flash the box with a newer image, does he know what version its running. settings>about phone it should have androind build 4.1.2/4.2.2 etc

12. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Tongs he doesn't mention in his first post what firmware he has , he does say that he can't sideload either, would he not have the same problem try to flash , tryin to get past the security issues

13. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

no you flash via sd card only and have to put it in to recovery menu to do so, it copies straight from the sd card and overwrites previous version, so like he says he thinks he got dodgy fw it would simply overwrite the previous fw. once its flashed and he had to do a hard reset via recovery it would go back to the newer flash/fw as that is now the new os,

14. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Cheers tongs must make a mental note of that myself
    Happy new year m8
    Paulie57. .......

15. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

And you mate

16. piopat

piopat Active member

you install apps via play store but ive never known anyone to uninstall that way . i know with the mxq that it has short cuts at the bottom of the screen . a sort of short list of 8 or 10 apps . if you uninstall an app via settingsmbox the short cut may remain unless you remove it but im not certain of that .

at the bottom of the screen where those 8 or 10 app short cuts are shown you should also see an option called add , i think its a + symbol . select that and it will show you all apps and any that are in the shortlist will have a little tick in them , the tick is to indicate that that particular app is in your short cut list . to remove the app from the short cut list go to the app and highlight it and press ok , it should now be unticked and should no longer be in your short cut list of apps . really i think its best to remove an app from the short cut list before uninstalling it .

when it comes to apps om android uninstall means uninstall as far as i am aware , if you uninstall kodi it will be uninstalled meaning you have re install it if you ever want to use it again . a computer is different in the sense that you download apps to it and then install them , if you uninstall them the file still remains in the computer in the hdd . with an android if you install apps say from the app store and then uninstall them a copy does not remain in the box . if you install from a usb stick / sd card they will remain there even if you uninstall them from the box , that is unless you have deleted them from the usb stick / android .

you say the main menu , so your not talking about the apps menu where you uninstalled kodi ? . if so remove the kodi shortcut as i explained above then go back to the apps menu and see is kodi still listed , if not that means its gone so you can install it again .