1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MXQ M201 Firmware

Discussion in 'Android TV boxes (Kodi, XBMC, etc)' started by n33712, Jul 12, 2020.

1. n33712

n33712 Newbie

Hi

I have a MXQ M201 box running Android 4.4.2.
    Is there any way to upgrade the Android version or is 4.4.2 the latest this unit will go?

Thanks

2. piopat

piopat Active member

i imagine there was atleast one more update available after that for that box . maybe up to android 5.0 .

however you only get a certain amount of updates for any box . and android software for these boxes has moved on a lot since 4.4 , its now android 9.0 . also updating the firmware in these boxes can be dangerous , because its so easy with these boxes to flash (pop in ) the wrong firmware . if you do that you can brick the box . meaning you can render the box unusable these . so i would not recommend anyone try and change the firmware unless they know they have the correct firmware and know what they are doing .

these boxes are relatively inexpensive so my advice is if anyone has a very old box (in terms of android boxes 4.4 is old ) that they buy a new one . if you need a recommendation for which box to buy
    MXQ 4K make sure its android 7 or higher . (can be bought for between 25 and 50 euro inc p+p depending on memory and storage size , the higher the memory/ storage the more cost .

X96 AIR 8k (these boxes should have android 9.0 on them ) this box has a learning remote that can learn functions of your tv . and its ultra HD compatible . also you can cast your phone screen to your tv via the box .

as standard you usually get 1gb memory and 8 gb storage , this is ok but it can be better . its worth paying a bit extra for 2 gb and 16 gb .

as a rule (my own rules ) i look at the remote that comes with a box , in 99% of cases in my own experience if a remote is cheap looking with just a few buttons that usually means the box will be of similar quality . in a few cases that has not been the case , but it is few . the two boxes i mentioned above are good quality at a reasonable price . you can of course pay more for other boxes .