1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 5 Favorite Freeware Picks

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by elliott, May 14, 2009.

1. killalot

killalot Active member

Ha.love it.

I still use xp some programs don't work on Vista x64,dvd rebuilder to name 1,XP just looks dated compared to vista,and like i said previously Vista is more secure. :)

2. LostUser

LostUser Member

Like I said, for now at least - they are still making Fords and Chevys!

3. LostUser

LostUser Member

Oh, great pic Monkey!

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

@Lost, glad you liked my baby picture lol

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Wrong bubba, My XP is the product of 7 years of tweaking and slipstreaming to come up with what I call ‘XP Maximus’ – it is tweaked for extreme stability, security and minimal resources. Has a Vista opening screen and tool bar, sidebar and Aero transparent windows. Custom folder and program icons, very fast and smooth and IS NOT dated… It is my personal “Operandus de Maximus” LOL I Love it and will probably be using it when they pat me on the belly with a shovel…

Just to keep you guys informed, I am switched over from Win7 to XP and giving a couple of HIPS programs the workout. So far I am impressed with DriveSentry, it has over 3 million online signatures and stops anything it doesn’t recognize that tries to write to the disk..

Another possibility is Dynamic Security Agent. Haven’t got into that one, yet…

2oG

6. killalot

killalot Active member

Yes I know you can tweak,change the settings and even have a sidebar,done it myself my friend,no need to with Vista already got them,Vista you got to love it.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Vista has some good features.. When applied to XP it makes a very good OS even better.
    When left on Vista, it’s like gold plating a cow chip… looks like a million but, when broken open, it’s still just a piece of s**t! [​IMG]
    IMHO 2oG : )

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

me soooo love VISTA me no complain me buyers oh so happy

9. killalot

killalot Active member

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Did I say …T..H..A..T ??? [​IMG]

Just an “ID ten T” error…

Father forgive me, for I know not what I do….
    [​IMG]XP Forever…….

11. killalot

killalot Active member

[/quote]
    Father forgive me, for I know not what I do….
    [​IMG]XP Forever…….[/quote]

"Let me guide you my son,Vista is the path you must choose"

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

But Father, the last time you sent me down a path and I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, it was a damned ole train! Called the ME express..

13. killalot

killalot Active member

Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the *power* of the Dark Side,"Vista" U *must* obey Your master.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I know who you are.. My friend Yoda told me.. You are not really the dark side, you’re blind.. That’s why you are always mistakenly calling me ‘Grasshopper’. Yoda also gave me the *Force* which is F=W72 (Force=Windows7 squared) I am now “Luke Filewalker”… TA-DA!

On the serious side, I just downloaded a book that I have been wanting for a long time.
    It’s Windows XP Registry Guide in PDF and 430 pages.. I am calculating the cost of printer ink I will need in order to print it.. lol

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  15. LostUser

LostUser Member

Damn, you guys were at it early this morning. You must have both slept like I did last night. I'm having a blast following this p-ssing contest. Who's got the highest mark on the wall so far??

I know it's all in fun though, so keep it up. It's entertaining.

Sorry Sir Vader but I must follow the true Masters - Luke Filewalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi on this journey. The Force is just too strong. And then there is that charming and oh-so-wise little Yoda on our side. I know that we shall prevail over the dark side! Ready your lightsabers, Sir Vader and Trooper Elliott. The duel is not over! The Force of 7 and XP shall prevail!!!!!!!

430 pages?? Master Filewalker, allow me to suggest that you dust off the laser printer. Toner is much cheaper than ink for a job like that.

Now back to the peeing contest. Oh, speaking of peeing,
    I guess that was a lesson that a lot of us old Texas farm boys had to learn growing up, huh Geek? It's a rite of passage! Since you are a member of our elite club, you understand when I say that it is a lesson that one remembers for a lifetime!

16. killalot

killalot Active member

"Print with the black my son its the way to go" May the ink be with you.

Always buy the compatible cartridges i do,bloody too expensive for the originals.

17. LostUser

LostUser Member

Hey killalot, speaking of generic ink cartridges... It's a little off topic for this thread, but since you brought it up let me ask a quick question and hope we don't get booted for it. What brand printer do you have that works with the generic "equals"? I have a HP that I can't get anything but originals to work with. Christmas greens come out puke pea green, etc. with every off brand I have tried. I also ran into that same problem with 3 other HP printers that have now long since gone to Printer Heaven. However, I have a Brother printer hooked up to the wife's computer and use $3 off brand ink in it with great results.

Just wondering. Hey, maybe we can avoid the big boot if I ask oldGeek "What the heck is an XP Registry Guide?" Obviously, it deals with the registry, but what pearls of wisdom do you expect to draw from it?

18. killalot

killalot Active member

canon pixma IP3000 My friend,works great on Vista. :)

19. LostUser

LostUser Member

Ah, now! There you go spouting that Vista crap again. I had a Cannon Pixma - something or another. Don't recall the exact model. I tried it with off brands as well. It did do better than the HP's, but I still wasn't satisfied with the colors it printed. The biggest problem I had with it was the cartridges didn't last hardly anytime. Cannon must load their cartridges with a whole half milliliter of ink! Again, I ended up going back to original cartridges to get the better colors, but it cost so much that I finally just trashed the printer. That was my only experience with Cannon. Have also tried one Epson, but had trouble getting it to recognize generic cartridges. Maybe 1 in 4 or 5 would work.

Maybe you are right on this one. Maybe the Vista drivers are better than the XP drivers. Guess I'll never know! Until my HP all-in-one dies I'll keep sucking up for original carts, but I think my next printer will be another Brother. Not really happy with the speed of the wife's printer, but it prints forever on a $3 off brand cartridge.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I think a lot of it depends on the printer itself and not just the brand. I have an Epson Stylus Photo R200 that I use all the time and it accepts generic just fine. I like it because I can print photos and it has a tray to print labels on printable cd/dvd’s. It uses 6 cartridges and I can get the generic for about 1/3 of the originals. My wife, on the other hand, has a Lexmark. I cannot find generic for it and she goes through them like a dose of Exlax. My only other option is refills which sometimes don’t work..

I think we should hold killalot down, put him in a pair of tights, paint a big “V” on his chest and call him “Vista Man” LOL.

DriveSentry is working great on XP. Never got it to work on Win7 so it probably won’t work on cough, choke, gag,…..v.vi..vista…

A very informative book published by Microsoft..

The registry is the heart and soul of Microsoft Windows XP. The registry contains the configuration data that makes the operating system work. The registry enables developers to organize configuration data in ways that are impossible with other mechanisms, such as INI files. It's behind just about every feature in Windows XP that you think is cool. More importantly, it enables you to customize Windows XP in ways you can't through the user interface.
    Windows XP and every application that runs on Microsoft's latest desktop operating system do absolutely nothing without consulting the registry first. When you double−click a file, Windows XP consults the registry to figure out what to do with it. When you install a device, Windows XP assigns resources to the device based on information in the registry and then stores the device's configuration in the registry.
    The registry is an invaluable tool for the IT professional deploying, managing, and supporting Windows XP. Did you know that most policies in Group Policy and system policies are really settings in the registry? Does that give you any ideas?
    Did you know that scripting registry edits is one of the best ways to deploy settings to users? This book teaches you about policies, scripting, and much more. For example, you will learn how to deploy registry settings during Windows XP and Microsoft Office XP installations. Some deployment problems can be solved only by using the registry.

That was a lazy copied synopsis but I hope you got the idea that the registry is a very important and misunderstood part of the operating system. I have had access to this book for a long time but never had a copy that I could call my very own. Lol
    I am the IT “go to guy” for a hotel chain and often write scripts to make changes in group policies that can be done without going to each individual machine.

Not only good for hacking but also used to find hackers and thwart them lol…

2oG