1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My backup is not playing fully in my stand a lone. Help Plz

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ghostluv, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Hello,

I just got started doing back up of my DVD movies, and I am sure that I’m ready to go. The very first movie that I had tried to back up was Monsters Inc. I followed every step on the shrink’s guide and once I clicked on BACK UP, everything was fine up until to the point where I place the copied disc in my stand alone player the movie plays very well and clear. However, once I got the skip some of the chapters to see if the whole movie is there, I start getting these little unsynchronized pictures and after a moment, the whole frame freeze up and I can’t even skip backward nor forward. I tried to look to see if the media was dirty, I realize that there is still a portion of it where it could still be blank. Same thing happened when I tried to back other DVD’s

Can someone please help me? Why does it seem like everything is burned on the media but I cannot play the whole movie?

Thank you

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey ghostluv,Your backups freezing,pixelating,skipping around,or just not being recognized are just the common symptoms of bad media.What media are you using?How fast are you burning?What kind of burner are you using?What programs are you using to rip,burn,and play your dvd's on your pc?later

3. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Hi saugmon, 

Thanks for the fast reply and concerns, well that’s right this all the symptoms I get when I play my backups and as far as what media that I’m using, I have the Memorex 8x DVD-r, 4.7GB, 120min. I burn the DVD’s using Nero the latest version and at a max speed of 8x. My burner is a Dynex cd-r/rw dvd+-r/rw writer which I bought from best buy. Last, I used the DVD shrink 3.2 for the whole process. I also have DVD decripter if that help but I have not used it for my backups yet. I used to use it when I used to convert DVD’s into vcd’s using dvd2vcd but I did not have the actual cce program and it used to take me like almost 8 hours to complete one disc.

Later...

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ghostluv, you are set up just like myself.Only 1 difference. The memorex media. Usually a big no no. A lot of people will dog you out. 10 % of memmorex is good.The rest are landfill. They use mostly cmc low quality junk.If you prefer the - on your dual format then you might want to try some maxell yellow tops with the media code mxlrg02.They got these on sale at staples. Stick with anything made in Japan on the wrapper.I am unfamiliar with the dynex burner,but 8x might be pushing it with memorex.Some people using the poorer memorex can only record at 1x to 2x just to get them to work.That should take care of your problem but no guarantee,lol....The dual format is nice to have for more flexibilty to solving playback problems.Have a good one,

5. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

i will give it a try, truly, i apreciate the comments and help. i'll let you know how i make out in a day or so...

thanks a million

6. n4metak3n

n4metak3n Member

oh no..ive been having the same problem with my backups and i thought it was a problem with my media. so i bought the 50 pk of memorex dvd-rs for 20 bucks at circuit city! aw man i shoulda looked on the forums before i bought them. oh well thanks for the advice

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey n4metak,Will circuit city take them back?Find something there that is "made in Japan".With japanese media,you are getting some of the best,mcc and mxlrg02,these are maxell and verbatim. Stay away from media made any where else. Later

8. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Good morning,

Before i go out there and get screwed by the vendors again, i'd like to know what is the best thing to get DVD-r or DVD+r??? and i know i should only get something that is made in Japan.

c Ya..

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey ghostluv, The + and - mainly affects your stand alones formatted for them. - is more compatable but + are for the newer ones.If you get maxell yellow top -4x,they are coded mxlrg02.The same pack for maxell +4x's are packaged same way,different color scheme.They are made in taiwan by ricoj,2nd class media.The higher quality maxell's seem to be -. Verbatim is the opposite,their + seems to be higher quality than their -.check out digitalfaq.com for their rankings of most media.Later

10. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  12. ghostluv

ghostluv Member

Good morning,

Saugmon, How you doing? Well i wanted to take this opp. to thank you for your help in the past 2 days... here's what i came up with, i went back to best buy, and return one set of my medias that i had bought from them (a 50 pack of DVD's memorex that was)exchanged it for the verbatim 8x DVD's i know you had said to get the 4x but they had none left so i went with the 8x since the memorex were garbages i just wanted to get rid of them.
    Now here's one thing i tried once i got home, i went back to the homepage and to the guide page on this site(AD) i followed the instruction for the dvd-5's backup with dvd-decripter only. I tried it with Enter the Dragon w/Bruce Lee, when it came to the burn process, i burned it at the 4x speed on a memorex media (which i had never tried to before with dvd-shrink to burn at a slow speed) using still dvd-decripter at the end, i the backup, played it on my stand alone player it played just like the Original. Yahooooooooooo... sorry!!
    So now, i wanted to ask you this My friend, what should i do when it come to backup my DVD-9's movies, it says that the size will me to BIG to fit on a 4.7GB disc, is there a way i can rip just the movies and leave off the EXTRAS by using dvd-decripter? or do you have any sugestions?

later..Ghost

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey ghostluv,glad to see the verbatim 8x's are working out. The + 8x's are my favorites but I am running low. I just got 100 verbatitim digital + 4x's.On your question about dv-9's. Lord of the rings trilogy and spiderman are the largest movies I have put on 1 standard disc.I just got my dual layer burner ,but the $10.00 is a little steep for me to experament with. Dvd shrink and nero is what I used on all my backups.But with the serious shrinkage I performed on 3hr + movies.I insert original,click on dvd shrink,open disc,let it analyze,drag main movie over,hit backup,check for enhancements and burn speed,hit ok,then it just starts process,kicks out original,insert blank and that is all she wrote.Perfect backup.I just ripped the main movie with dvd shrink and used all of shrinks enhancements.Turned out pretty darn good and only took me about an hour.I haven't had to use dvd decrypter yet,but I have it just in case shrink won't do it. so I can't tell you much about decrypter.There should be some excellent guides here for that program. I just stick to what works best for me.Some of the people here put main movie on one disc and the extras on another.Later