1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My backup media is not playing on my computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Oct 7, 2004.

1. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I am able to watch it on my ps2 and all dvd players in my house but unable to view it on my PC, I have a LG drd816ob dvd rom. I am able to play originals but not my backups, is there anything I can do. I tried playing with power dvd and windows media player and still no luck. Thanks Steve

2. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I am able to watch the backed up media with the real one player but the movie keeps skipping around. Thanks Steve

3. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to find a solution for me or maybe I have to download soemthing to that PC. Thnaks again, Steve

4. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Sorry for bothering everyone, just was curious why the media didn't work, my questions were answered in the past with great advise, I guess I made a stupid question in this forum. Thanks Steve

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Patience, patience - my friend.
    We are all here on our free time, and sometimes new threads get overlooked......

Anyway let's see if we can help now............

So, your issue is:
    Backups play on your PS2/standalones, but skip etc whilst viewing on the PC.

What happens in powerdvd, does it skip there or do you receive an error message?
    What version is powerdvd?
    What version is media player?
    What brand/format of discs are you using?
    How old is your dvdrom?
    Your dvdrom may have trouble playing +r discs if it is an old one.
    Have you looked at LG's website for a firmware update for your dvdrom?

Newer firmware adds more media brands support if you have trouble with them.

What software are you using to produce the backup?

If you can answer these we shall be on our way............

6. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks for replying, I am going to asnswer your questions:

What happens in powerdvd, does it skip there or do you receive an error message? It either doesn't load the dvd or it starts up and then skips

What version is powerdvd? XP, I believe it is the newest one.

What version is media player? Media player for XP, 8.00.00.4487

What brand/format of discs are you using? Ritek Ridata Branded

How old is your dvdrom? About 2 years and it is a LG DVD Rom drd8160b

Your dvdrom may have trouble playing +r discs if it is an old one. I only use -r disks.

Have you looked at LG's website for a firmware update for your dvdrom? No I am going to look into that now

Newer firmware adds more media brands support if you have trouble with them.

What software are you using to produce the backup? DVD shrink with Nero or sometimes dvd decrypter once already compressed

Thanks again,
    Steve

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

What speed are you burning at?
    It maybe worthwhile reducing the speed BEFORE you reflash your reader and seeing if it has any effect..........

However it does sound like your dvdrom may require a firmware update...........

8. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I always burn at 2x, i found an update firmware for my ROM, I never did that before, when I downloaded it and opened it, there was all question marks, I clicked on one of teh boxes and a black screen flashed, I think I did it right. I am still unable to get any burned media to play though, just originals. Thanks

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Uninstall the drive in device manager, reboot, let windows re-install it and see if that has any effect.
    Or
    Uninstall the IDE controller it sitd on in device manager, reboot, let windows re-install it and see if that has any effect.

Do you add labels to the discs?

Failing that, try and burn onto a different brand of disc, strange though as Ridata are a know high qulaity disc.

It maybe that your reader is on it's way out, this shows up first on burned media before commercial discs.

10. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I just did and dvd is starting up with Power dvd xp but it gets stuck, is there a better program that I can use that maybe more reliable or is there something else I can do?

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Will powerdvd allow you to play an original dvd - purchased one?

12. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Yes it will, so I am guessing that maybe it is just time ot grab a new DVD rom

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It looks that way.

Does it play ok in your dvd burner with powerdvd - this will definately point to the dvdrom..........

14. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

It looks liek you are right, now originals are getting stuck. Any advise on where to get a new dvd rom. I just got a Lite On XJ-HD 166S rom for my house for around 30. with shipping included. I am installing this at work and was wondering if their is anything cheaper or was 30. for that one reasonable and was it a good buy. Thanks again, Steve

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am an the UK.

I use several suppliers and between £15 and £30 is a reasonable price.

Many brands available but I also use an LG which hasn't failed me, which I purchased from PC World about 6 months ago HL-DT_ST GDR8161B for around £20.

I also use http://www.overclockers.co.uk which have a wide selection and really cheap.

Also http://www.newegg.com have a good selection aswell..............

16. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it :)

17. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I am now able to play origianls using interactive player but when I try to play a burned dvd the movie starts up then skips around. I think I loaded the firmware for my LG Rom correctly and I uninstalled and reinstalled my lg rom but no luck. Is there anything else I can do or does it seem like I need a new dvd rom even though the originals are playing no problem. Thanks again, Steve

18. Buik

Buik Regular member

Let's revert back to one question asked by BaaBaa.

Have you applied computer printer lables to these back-up disks?

If so, it is possible that your PC DVD-ROM is getting worn out. Wear & tear on components is not going to be too evident on the inner part of the disk. It will show up up towards the outer part because everything will be "out of round". The laser reads in a circular pattern, not oval.

If you are labeling your disks with paper lables, that could be the cause. They are known to cause problems.

Use a "Sharpie" pen. They do not look as nice, but they are better than trashing a piece of equipment.

If all the other players, play the disk(s) that you have backed up, it could be their tolerences were better to begin with. Try backing up your original again and see how it goes.

Ted

19. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks Ted, I do not use labels I just use a sharpie, do you think my drive is done even know it plays the originals? Thanks

20. Buik

Buik Regular member

No. The drive still plays the originals. It is not toast. If nothing else It can still be the reader for originals.

Glad to see you are researching outside of this post.

After re-reading posts & research, it looks like you are having trouble with a combo CD-ROM/R-RW & DVD-ROM unit. Is this the same unit you used to make the back-up?

Ted