1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MY CD BURNER STOPPED WORKING HELP!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by oneshadow, Jan 29, 2005.

1. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

hey, thx in advance to whoever can help me. Heres my problem i have a cd-r/rw writer/reader its internal a cyber-drive cw078d it came with my compaq, it used to write cd's just fine then all of a sudden it doesnt.I stopped using it for like 6 months and now it doesnt work, the strange thing is that it reads cd's just fine it cant burn them though, i have tons of burning programs Nero 6, alcohol 120, clone cd, what it does is it acts like its burning the cd the bars on the programs fill to 100% but then it comes out blank the drive doesnt make any effort, i cant hear any noise in there while 'burning' i have windows xp. ive tried alot of times and the cd's keep coming out blank or i get an error that it cant write to the cd or that the cd'ds dont work, i bought a new 50 pack and it still doesnt work so its not the cd-r's.ive checked the properties on the device and they are all ok, it even says 'this device is working properly' and also i didnt put it to simulate burn, i put write on nero im not dumb, heh it also cant verify the data compilation on the cd since it never writes anything. please help me anyone that knows, if i have to open my pc please give me instuctions on how to remove the cd burner since its internal, again it does read cd's it cant write them anymore, i also got a firmware upgrade from the official site, but it did nothing.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

try uninstalling the cd drive

Right click on my computer/manage/click on device manager/expand the tree CD-ROM drives/left click on your cd drive thats not working and select uninstall/restart your computer.

once XP restarts plug n play will detect a new device and reinstall your drive, try burning somthing and see if this doesn't help, if it doesn't then we will try somthing else.

3. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

i already did that before, it detects it but it doesnt burn, i saw in another site that maybe its to old ive had the computer for like 2 yrs., also to clean it,but it reads the cd's just fine it shows that theres a blank cd in the drive but it cant burn, dunno, maybe i have to open it?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you try it in another computer but more likely is tired out if 2 years old & you can get new 52x32x52 cdburners for about $35Can. also uninstall, defrag than re-install burning program to see what happens & reseat the burner cable

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  5. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

ill have to get a new one i guess, i cant complain it came free with the comp, but what i dont get is how can it read but not write its the same laser? shouldnt it not work at all?

6. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

also ive never opened my comp, but since it doesnt burn anymore ill have to replace it , but i dont know how to remove it or even open the comp its a compaq presario 6000

7. ddp

what is the actual model# of computer as compaq has about 100 different versions but has instructions on how to remove & replace rom drive

8. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

its 6370us i already read how to remove the drive on compaqs official site, thx didnt want to have to open it but, nothing can be done.

9. ddp

instead of getting a cd burner, might want to look at getting a dvd burner as they are about $100Can. & they do cds too

10. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

good idea, thx, u know i could have chose a dvd burner instead of a cd burner but the sales clerk said that they take literally days to copy a dvd, so he talked me out of that, what he didnt say was that the cd burners break down after a while.

11. ddp

read the other threads & you'll see it doesn't take days to copy dvd more like minutes or a couple of hrs depending on file size, burner speed & copmuter specs. all things wear out eventually

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I would also try to do a fresh firmware update on the Burner to see if it helps. It won't cost anything and it's worth a try.

Are the CD's that go through what looks like a burn process actually burned with any data or do they come out and still show as blank media?

13. oneshadow

oneshadow Guest

nothing gets burned, the cd comes out completely bank, 2 days ago i opened the comp, and took out the cd drive opened that and cleaned the laser it was spotless and i made sure all the screws where tightened , i didnt do anything else because i didnt know what else to do. I tried it and it still wouldnt burn in fact before it recognized a blank cd now it doesnt, it cant read them it says no cd in drive, also there was a connection plug with colorful wires in there [the pc] that was disconnected it read 'p4' i didnt know what it did so i left it alone but it was close to the cd drive, but i doubt it fell off because the other plug was in tight it wasnt easy to unplug it to get it out of the drive.but im getting a new cd burner on sunday so now i dont know what to do with this one, i mean it still reads cd's it just cant burn them.

14. ddp

if don't have cdrom you do now