1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My CD Writer is having trouble!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Nessness, May 31, 2004.

1. Nessness

Nessness Member

I need some help; whenever I try to burn a plain ol' data CD, my CD writer simply dies on me. It's been a few weeks already, and I noticed back then when the CD burning would actually take 26 whole minutes, as opposed to the 9 minutes it used to take. And after a few minutes of burning a disc, it would suddenly die; the computer would claim that the disc is unusable, but in reality the CD writer just sorta disconnected itself. The computer would stop recognizing ALL the cd drives connected to it, as if they all just disappeared. I've tried writing discs after using the Comp, right after restarting it, and letting it sit for a while after it just turns on. Nothing is working! Please help.

2. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

how old is your burner if its quite old the laser could have burned out if not try lense cleaner
    if you do a lot of burning it wont last long i go though 1 every 4 to 6 months
    example burning at 48x for a few months and all of a sudden it drops to 12x to 24x time to get new 1
    and there that cheep here i stock up on them
    hope this helps if not at leased youve lernt somthing new

3. Nessness

Nessness Member

Thank you very much. That seems like a reasonable explanation; I burn 1-2 CDs every week until it died. I can't believe I didn't already think of that!

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1-2 cds/week shouldnt cause a catastrophic failure like that even if you had it for years unless it was just a really bad quality drive -- make note of the Maker of the drive and avoid them in the future :p

5. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

1/2 cd's a week dont buy that drive again
    go for a liteon52/48/52 had no problems with that drive
    and thats all i use i pay £ 30 for them