1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer doesnt communicate with my printer very well.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ringofire, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ringofire

ringofire Member

Sometimes it takes 10 min to print a single page. Its a pretty modern computer 256 RAM, 2.39 Ghz processor. Not sure whats up. sometimes it is like rocket speed in printing and then it starts doing the 10 minute thing. Its an HP printer scanner. Really nice printer also. Its really been bugging me lately. I ran msconfig and cleared out alot of unnecessary programs running but it didnt seem to help. Think it needs more memory?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what windows are you using, what is your free resources/performance & do you leave the computer on all the time?? check for updated hp drivers & is the printer using a usb cable or parallel cable??

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

If it is a 6110 then there is your problem. May need a firmaware update for that. See if there is anything being logged in the event viewer.

-Del

4. ringofire

ringofire Member

Its window XP home. As far as performance do you mean CPU usage? Its peaks around 15%. The computer is left on all the time. Why would that affect the printer? The printer is a PSC 2410 photo smart. Connected by USB port. Where is the event viewer.
    Thanks!!!!!

5. ddp

leaving the computer on all the time causes the resources to drop til when you use a printer or whatever it screws up. don't know if this holds true for xp or not as it does for win98 so something to think about

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

ddp for XP home yes but takes a bit longer. XP PRO No. I have seen that many times but of course nobody belives me. Also XP Home for some reason gets slower and slower the longer it is installed. XP Pro Does not get slower.

To get to the event viewer do this: Right click on my computer select manage. Double click event viewer then click on system. Look for any RED cirle X that has anything to do with PRINT.

-Del

7. ddp

Mr_Del, "nobody belives me" on what part do they not believe you

8. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

The part about XP Home slowing down. I have debated this I dont know how many times but it is true. XP home is much like 98 when it comes to managing resources. It only takes a little longer to require a reboot. After about 4 months of being installed you will notice that XP home as a whole is running slower. XP Pro does not have these problems.

-Del