1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Computer Goes Into a "Stand-By" mode

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by turnpoint, May 9, 2007.

1. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

Ok I'm using Nero Express 3 (if you know anything better just tell me) and I'm trying to take the videos I have saved on my computer and burn them to a DVD. It will only go so far before the computer goes into this "stand-by" mode and by this I mean the monitors go black and the power button is flashing blue and orange. At this point I have no other options but to unplug the computer to get it to turn back on or do anything at all. I really do need the help, becuase I am the computer technican at my home church and I can't get the services on a DVD because of this.
    I would be very greatfull and so would my church
    Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Did you check your Display Properties > Screen Saver > Power

3. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

yea i am using a desktop and we shut the screen saver off so i have no idea what the problem is. i have an idea that it is the program and that it is an older version, but not sure. but yea we shut the screen saver off because it is a church computer and we use a projector and the screen saver got real annoying after a while
    thanks though if u have any other sugestions please leave them

4. attar

attar Senior member

Not just the screen saver, the hard drive.

5. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

Yea i have done all that so i changed programs. My computer came with Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7 and when i'm ready to start burning the dvd, it will seem like it has started and then it won't make any progress at all. i have sat here and waited and waited for over an hour and still no progress do you know anything about sonic or any one who does? i have all 3 messangers if it would be easier to figure this thing out just let me know
    and again thanks for the help

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

If your running XP go to Control Panel to Performance and Maintenance to Power Options and make sure System standby is - never - along with monitor and hard drive

8. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

Is there any way that a computers DVD Burner could be turned off or some how disabled
    I can't even get my computer to pick up any kind of blank DVD's to even burn a DVD

9. attar

attar Senior member

Can you right click on the burner and 'eject'?
    That means the burner is powered and recognized.

Run the Nero Info Tool.
    http://www.iomagic.com/downloads/utilities/NeroInfoTool_207.zip

Look at the firmware version and then check for an update.

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces

Check the configuration tab in 'Tools' and verify that 'DMA' is on for the burner.
    If DMA is on then remove the DVD drivers and have Windows reinstall them.

Right Click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager >DVD Drives
    Highlight the drive > Right Click > Uninstall.
    Reboot.

10. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

Ok i changed programs and started to use Sonic Digital Media Plus v7 and it will start the process to burn but before it burns it stops and i sat and waited for 2 hours and nothing happened. i put a blank disk in and the computer doesn't even recognize it
    I have no idea what to do
    Thank You

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

just so you know..... Nero and Sonic don't mix nicely on some computers..... I would uninstall Sonic and use the Roxio Zapper (Sonic is made by Roxio) to make sure there are no traces of Sonic left in the computer: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Roxio-Zap.shtml

after doing this I would do a whole computer clean up:
    1. do a registry clean with CCleaner (it's free): http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=1.39.502&l=1033
    do the RUN CLEANER,then hit ISSUES/SCAN ISSUES/FIX ALL ISSUES
    2. then defrag your computer
    3. then I would use a program called ERUNT & NTREGOPT.... it's a registry back up program and optomizer! very good and fixes many problems!...found here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ this is for Windows XP!
    4. reboot!

for some reason your computer is not recognizing your disks. Make sure you are using quality media and you keep your computer clean and running mean! Stick with the MIJ rule (Made In Japan). Look for the MIJ on the label of the box of spindle (Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Maxell, and some Fuji)... the only exception to this rule is Verbatim, which is top notch media but made in Taiwan/Singapore and the only non MIJs I will use. using quality media solves many problems.

your computer might just need a good cleaning out for it to work again...... and for DMA issues follow this guide:
    http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/231/dmaissues

hit the ADVANCED tab and HIBERNATE tab make sure that you don't have your hard drives or monitor turned off and make sure all the boxes that don't need checks in them have none!

12. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

So what kind of program do you propose to use other than Nero and Sonic then
    And thank you very much for that advice

13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

14. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

It might be a fried DVD drive can you make a music dvd or jpeg dvd

15. turnpoint

turnpoint Member

Do you know anything about CyberLink DVD Solution Program

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

It's possible that your comp came with Sonic and won't burn a DVD unless you upgrade did that on a HP laptop I bought. Chris