1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my computer keeps restarting! help please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sammo_101, Apr 12, 2007.

1. sammo_101

sammo_101 Guest

hi, my ive had my new pc for about 1 year exactly now, and since my old pc has been gathering dust, i thought i would boot it up.
    however, whenever i turn it on it just restarts, and then just restarts randomly. i know it isnt a virus because i have just re-installed windows on it. any help much appreciated please!

My computer is a packard bell ixtreme 9100 i, 384mb ram, 800mhz processor speed. it's running windows ME and hopefully when i get this problem sorted i will put Windows XP on it.

thanks!

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Check that the heatsink on the CPU is secured properly. It may be necessary to remove it, place a drop or two of thermal paste onto the heatsink bottom, and then replace it. Faulty memory chips can also cause this problem, as well as inadequate case cooling.

3. sammo_101

sammo_101 Guest

kk thanks i will try this and report back asap. thanks!

4. sammo_101

sammo_101 Guest

i checked that the heatsink was secure and it was, but there was alot of dust in it which i cleared. i also took out the memory and tested it on another system and it worked ok. the computer doesnt feel hot, but i canot load any software to find out the temperature of it because it still randomly restarts.
    i wondered is there a way to find out the temp. in the cmos? thanks for the help although more help need please!
    p.s. when the computer was set up about 8 months ago, it sometimes came onto the screen that it was out of frequency, then would count down and restart. i thought this might help. thanks

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look at the can shaped objects on the motherboard as they are capacitors & supposed to be flat topped not domed. also try another psu.

6. sammo_101

sammo_101 Guest

Ok ill give another psu a try.
    I looked at the capacitors and they are flat not domed on top, but i don't see how this will help me? more help please!