1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My computer randomly restarts for no reason.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mole55, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Well, this was happening to me a few months ago and i was so sick of it that i just formated my whole pc and started fresh. it stopped happening until now.

as i said before, I had to format my whole pc, and then it was fine. I dont think its a PCU problem.

2. hijacker

hijacker Guest

First of all it is not your power supply or PSU,I can tell you that.Go to www.microsoft.com and in the search window type "windows has recovered from a serious error" in the window.You will get some documentation from the error that you have received and a download patch for the problem.Tips from me:
    1 make sure you have at least one gig hard drive space. 2.Make sure your CPU is not running at 100% all of the time.You may have some spyware crashing your system.Microsoft has a free beta version of their spyware remover at www.microsoft.com.Also a good registry cleaner will help kill spyware apps.go to www.ccleaner.com for a free registry cleaner.

3. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Thanks Hijacker, I will try all those sites and try to fix the problem. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2005
  4. hijacker

hijacker Guest

P.S: Spybot and ad-adware won't help.The maker of spybot does not make updates anymore and ad-aware you have to purchase a full copy to get updates.Atleast microsofts beta has updates and runs automatically.Or webroot has a good spyware remover.Can't think of it's name.

5. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

ok, thanks.

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

7. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

I am going to try that link. Also for Hijacker, I went to the place and downlaoded th patch, but it said i have a better version. second I went to another link and it said that your drivers might not be updated if you have windows xp, which i have.

8. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

dlc2000, thanks for the link, i ran spysweeper and window washer, i found like 5 things from spysweeper. thanks!

9. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

im glad it worked well for you . now is your problem corrected or not ?

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you can get updates for ad-aware se from lavasoft for free no matter what hijacker said & usually about every 2-3 weeks & i just downloaded updates for spybot s&d dated jan. 6 2005 so they are still doing updates too

11. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Well, my comp hasnt restarted for no reason in a while, so prbably. thanks.

12. MrSpeed

MrSpeed Guest

Some bugs that will cause your computer to restart by its self.

W32.BLASTER
    W32.GAOBOT
    W32.SASSER

And the new W32.Spybot.HUR

These pest cause a DCOM RPC vulnerability and Security Authority Service Remote Buffer Overflow.
    This causes the computer to randomly restart. Often you can find a scan and removal tool to get rid of it.
    This link may help you decide if this is the cause.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.hur.html

13. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

i will have to try some of those things when i get in in the morning

14. wonder05

wonder05 Member

I'm supprized noone has suggested anything to do with the memory. If the memory is faulty, a whole slew of issue can arrise, especially in memory intensive tasks such as video editing, etc.

If anyone is still having issues after trying all of the above, go here: http://www.memtest86.com/ and download memtest86 (its free and open source). burn it to a disk (you can even get ISOs about 1/2 way down the page) and reboot your PC with the disk in a drive. It will analyze your memory and tell you if you have any problems or not.

hope that helps.

15. Dvdc0pier

Dvdc0pier Member

I do technical support for a living so I get all kinds of problems. Usally a random reboot is a hardware or Operating System issues.

1.) Is Windows Patched?
    2.) Are there IRQ conflicts with your Hardware?
    3.) Is your power supply functioning right?
    4.) Are you overcloking your CPU & if so is it cooled properly?
    5.) Have you installed any new hardware latley?

16. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

ok i had the same problem i tried all the patches etc i even tryed changing my ram out with my friends comp it turned out to be the audio driver man i had a week or 2 of sleppless nights searching for somthin usefull l9ol ok bye bye

17. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

Um, what was wrong with your audio driver?

18. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

well i dunno i had the audio exelorator 1 on the but when i installed the bus driver ontop of that the problem went away
    but the thing is that i need to get another one because surround sound doesnt work

19. Mole55

Mole55 Guest

oh thats probably just a problem for you, i think i fixed my problem. All i did was downlaod some free spyware remover stuff and cleaned my C: drive. And my computer hasnt restarted( without intention) since.

20. FreeMrkt

FreeMrkt Member

If you want to try another idea, right click on my computer and go to properties, then go to advanced. Click the recovery settings tab and uncheck restart automatically. Then instead of restarting, your computer should blue screen giving you the reason for the crash. Most likely it will be a device driver irq conflict or sys file. Try google'ing it and see if there is a solution.