1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Custom Made Pc Turns Off when starting! =(

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ricky1122, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

Hiya, today i finished putting together my pc (budget)

My case has a 450w Power Unit

-ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA SKT 775 VIA PT880Pro/ultra motherboard

-Point Of View 7600GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E

-1.280GB DDR Ram (not sure which brand)

-Intel Celeron D 356 (3.33GHz)Processor

-80Gb Maxtor Hardrive

-Sony Dvd Drive (Not sure what model)

For some unknown reason when I turn pc on, its ok for a few seconds then it just goes off for no reason. Its highly frustrating=( The motherboard, graphics card and processor are brand new, the memory, dvd drive and harddrive are from my dell pc and they have never failed me before. The case has fans and there is an heatsink/fan on the processor so i dont think heat is a problem and the pc is only on for a few secs so overheating is out of question basically. Ive made sure everything has power to it, and sometimes it goes for around 20 secs,on the screen it says my graphics card, also mentions my memory and processor, and it detects both my hard disk and dvd drive so im assuming nothing is wrong with them since the motherboard detects them.

Please could someone help me, this is my first pc which ive put together myself and I really want it finished! Thank you so much to anyone who helps.

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

are you sure you have a 450watt psu? maybe it cannot power the pc right because of lack current in the 12volt rail?

3. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

there is a switch in the back of the psu that says 115/220 volts

115 is for n. america, and 220 for europe

i dont know, but that was the case with me

4. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

Hiya, on the box of the pc case it says "P4 450w Power Supply" It doesnt have a switch on the back, unless you have to open up the psu?

5. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

you may have already tried this, but take out the motherboard and look at the post on the back make sure all the studs are in and there is no shorting taking place, on my first build I destroyed my motherboard the same way and could not find the answer to it was to late.

edit

nice choice of componets for a budget build!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

I was taking extra care doing this, and have checked to make sure that the motherboard isnt touching the surface below.

7. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

8. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

ok if that is all well next try if you have more than one stick of ram, insert just 1 stick in slot one if it is the same try another stick.

9. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

Just Tried that now, just does the same, reckon its the psu? even though its new as it came with pc case

10. techguy26

techguy26 Regular member

did it boot at all? you may have an overheating problem, are you sure the heatsink is applied correctly? did it come with a pad of thermal greasee or did you manually install it? also try to boot the pc with nothing but the necessities? one stick of ram one hard drive onboard video if equipped on motherboard. try to boot the sucka with the least amount of hardware you can.

11. Ricky1122

Ricky1122 Member

When i bought the processor, it came with heatsink/fan with it, underneath the heatsink is a thermal pad, also it doesnt move and seems pretty secure, so i assume ive installed that right. The times when ive taken 1 memory stick out and times when ive used both, it boots the same, it goes on for a little, naming the components,memory, processor etc like usual, then just knocks itself off. The problem of trying with least amount of hardware is that the motherboard doesnt seem to have onboard graphics lol :S