1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad is getting this.. wadda ya think..or is this bad..?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MGSnake, Jul 5, 2005.

1. MGSnake

MGSnake Member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7117933&type=product&cmp=++&id=1110265592467
    Is this the best they have? The display type that is.
    and I was wondering if I could get Dolby Digital 5.1 just buy connecting the optical digital cable from the HDTV to the recevier.
    Also im having my PS2 directly hooked up to the TV using just the basic yellow,red,white plugs.. I know I should upgrade to component cables which I will do soon. What size setting should I set my Ps2 on.. 16:9? Also will playing video games on it burn the screen or whatever cause I've heard this from others =\

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  2. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi, yes i have the same one, i paid well over $6k for it about a year ago~ so this is a very decent price. i dont' know about the video games being in widescreen, but most likely it will fit/stretch out to 16:9, i don't have any video game consoles,so i couldn't give you a definitive answer :)

secondly, i would suggest using the HDMI, as i am currently using the HDMI cable and it's great. the HDMI is ONE digital connection that provides completely 100% digital feed, the difference is noticeable even when comparing with high end component cables :)

i don't play vid. games on the plasma, so i dont' know anything about that; but, this is a great TV and im sure you will thoroughly enjoy it~ it's the centerpiece in my own home theater setup~

enjoy and have a good one.

3. MGSnake

MGSnake Member

Oh man.. well we got everything hooked up. S-video for the cable.. component video cables for DVD. Now.. why does the picture quality look like shit. =\ Well it does to me.. I saw the exact same model that we bought on a shelf at Sears and the picture on the HD channel was just so solid and purely crystal clear. When Im on a HD channel.. it just looks grainy and slightly blurred and dark. Not sharp or anything close to what I saw at Sears and like I said it was the exact same model. What the fusk gives.. $5000 for this and picture looks like shit. Also why do the channels below 99 have no audio at all? Above that I get the Digital stereo or surround but thats only above channel 99.. whats the deal?

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

no idea there buddy, my cable connection, actually, my satellite provider, has a DVI connection on their box, which i use a converter (DVI-HDMI converter, mine happens to be made by Monster Cable, but i'm sure any company that has a DVI-HDMI converter is just as good) and my picture quality is pretty darn close to perfection on my HD channels~ no grainy effect and my darks are DARK and my brights/colors are sharp :p i'm not sure if you got a faulty plasma or not, as i haven't had problems with mine so i dont' know where to begin in troubleshooting your issues.

im sorry to hear of your $hitty picture quality as mine is VERY good, much better than all my friends that own HD plasma's by other companies (samsung, lg, phillips, dell, visio, and no name ones too)

good luck w/ your plasma, im at a loss of words~

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

oh i just reread your reply, perhaps things MIGHT improve if you swap out the s-video to your cable w/ a dvi/hdmi i had mentioned in the post above earlier...it can't hurt to try? i don't know if the problem w/ bad picture lies there or not, but, that's the only other thing i could think of....

6. MGSnake

MGSnake Member

Where would I get that at? Would that be better than component cables? Im not really familiar with everything here, ay x_X

7. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

DVI/HDMI is the next step up from component~ it's 100% PURE DIGITAL, whereas component is STILL high-end analog cable~

any of your local electronics store should have them...best buy, circuit city, good guys, etc.. (those are the electronics stores in my area at least)

make sure to check what your cable box SUPPORTS first though, if it can use DVI, that might help your picture quality a lot. since the panny uses hdmi, you need to find a HDMI cable, but, an adapter to go along with it; unless you can find one that is HDMI-DVI. i KNOW they make them, but they are scarce in my area. a good place to find more info on all this is :

http://www.audioshowcase.com/catalog/hdmianddvicable.htm

i have never ordered from there, but they give you a better idea as to what i am talking about in terms of the "Adapter DVI-HDMI"

use that page as a reference, MAKE SURE u find the correct adapter, male-female or female-male, etc...find the one that will match w/ the panny and your cable box~

hope that helps a bit

8. -mark-

-mark- Member

At least make sure you have the cable connected with the component outputs from your cable box. It is just about as good as DVI/HDMI. Also, you can get 5.1 surround if you use the digital audio outputs from the cable box. You can either run them directly to your receiver, or run it to the TV and then use the digital audio out from your TV to the receiver. Personally I never run any audio to the TV, and run all audio signals directly to the receiver. Also, I never run my video connections through the receiver. I run them all directly to the TV. I have a 55" Hitachi Plasma. HTPC via VGA connection and audio to the receiver. HD Cable box Scientific Atlanta 8300 connected via component and optical audio out. DVD connected via component and optical audio out.

Good luck,
    Mark

9. MGSnake

MGSnake Member

Alright I hooked up component cables from my TV to the cablebox. Picture looks great!! I cant belive that bastard over at Sears told me to use S-video. Thanks for the suggestion on having my optical cable connected directly to my cablebox to the receiver. those HDMI cables are freakin expensive! I'll just stick with component. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  10. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

Hi! MovieDud here! Just wanted to add something to the lastest thread...I've been involved with Home Theater for 7 years and there hasn't been one theater that I have set-up (including my own) where I used Video Essentials or AVIA set-up disk. Many HD sets or standard sets have their brightness levels jacked way to high and contrast is way above normal levels, especially watching movies. The way I set my HDTV, using Avia test disk is by setting up the Dvd Players (both progressive scan (1 is DENON 2200 and the other is Sony). You will be amazed at how low your Brightness and Contrats settings will change in regards to the way factory has set them. Then I make the same settings for the 1080 i HD image. Actually my HD brightness is a couple numbers higher than the DVD. Until HD/DVD or Blue Ray comes out with their players (which means the software content will follow allowing users to make the necessary adjustments on their HD Sets. I use my DVI output off the satellite receiver for the cable choice, and use progressive hookups with Monster THX approved component cables for DVD players. People are stunned at the quality of picture and then I share with them that they are watching a backup copy. On 55 inch 16X9 widescreen HDTV it looks astonishing.
    Hope this helped.
    MovieDud
    p.s. Software can be picked-up at Best Buy, Home Theater stores, and off the internet.

11. MGSnake

MGSnake Member

For FREE? ^_^

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

:) glad to see the component cable working for ya~ that "bastard" doesn't know what he's talking about, there will NEVER be a case where s-video quality of video is superior to that of component cables~

told ya it was a great HD plasma...glad someone else chimed in w/ more "cable box" experience...i use satellite so im not very familiar w/ cable boxes and the like... :)

13. -mark-

-mark- Member

MG, I'm glad it worked out for you. If you have more questions about your display, a good place to go is: http://www.avsforum.com.
    This is where a lot of us A/V nuts hang out. I just started coming to this site, and it is mostly for computers so far.

Good luck, and have fun,
    Mark

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  14. -mark-

-mark- Member

Ok, just wanted to post again to see if the changes to my account took affect.