1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My desktop icons have been rearranged ..

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by mossfan18, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I know this may sound strange (or maybe not) but I've never experienced this before. I come to the PC in the morning only to find it shut off and when restarted the desktop icons have been rearranged as if they have been deleted. I believe they are all there but why this has happened is a mystery to me. If I didn't live alone I'd swear someone here has shut off my PC and then scrambled up the icons for fun.

This has happened twice now.

The PC is an HP that I just bought in June and I have Nortons installed on it and I have ran Ad-aware & Spybot and found nothing alarming.

Is there any reason why this is happenning and is there a threat of a virus as the cause?

Here are the snapshots:

This is the desktop with the gaping holes:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/mossfan18/DesktopMissingIcons.jpg

This one shows an X where the icon used to be :

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/mossfan18/xformissingicon.jpg

Thanks guys!

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

There is a simple fix for this. Download and install this piece of software...

Desktop Icon Restore Fix

After it is installed place your icons were you want them and then right click on either the "Recycle Bin" or "My Computer" and select "Save Desktop Icon Layout". Next time your icons are out of place simply right click on either the "Recycle Bin" or "My Computer" and select "Restore Desktop Icon Layout".

3. JLPicard6

JLPicard6 Member

I messed up my complex array of desktop shortcut icons couple of days ago. I ran a 'Windows Washer' type program, and it washed my Windows alright, and deleted about 75% of my ICONS! Is there some sort of backup that I can at least see which Icons I had on the desktop? I have a 'Restore my Icons' program, and it works great, for out of whack icons, but won't do a thing for Icons that where there and now are not.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@JLPicard6

Off hand nothing comes to mind, but you could get a program like Fastone Capture and take screenshots of your PC's desktop.